Can a $650 PC build match the Xbox One X?

Oct 6, 2017
it's been ages since i played games on a proper gaming system, it being PC or a "New Gen" console... and this holiday season i'm looking foward to change that.

There is a massive discussion online about the performance of the Xbox One X when compared to a (in theory) similar specced PC, but nobody knows what they are talking about and DEFINETLY nobody has "proper" benchmarks of the system they "advertise" to beat the Console.

Most people are of the opinion that the Xbox One X PC equivalent, would be something with a RX 580 8gb, and a ryzen 1200 oc'd, and i happen to agree!

but what holds me back from being 100% sure of the validity of these claims, is the lack of TRUE "head to head" 4k (or checkerboarded 4k) benchmarks with these systems in mind.

The closest thing to "definitive proof" i've got is this video that benchmarks an rx 580 / i3 8100 at 1440p, ultra settings.

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvpsF765lHY&t=159s

these numbers when compared to Digital Foundries videos about the X seem to suggest the claims to be somewhat true, but of course the games on the x run at VERY different settings and the numbers are to be taken with "a grain of salt"

what do you think? do you have an rx 580? do you think that the 580 is enough to "match" the Xbox One X?

Solution
It what my fanboy at work says. I've tried to disagree with him but he won't listen.

I was also trying to point out you failed to include a resolution. The One or One S can't really game at 4K. That's why they came out with the One X. Yes, it has to use tricks to get you to 4k, but it can do it. Can a $650 PC do that? No. Maybe you skimp and get a 1070 for $450 leaving you $200. You still can't really get everything else you need for $200. Looking only at performance/price that's one reason why consoles are so great. Because when it comes to the performance you get for what you spend, PCs can't touch it.

We see threads like this every time a new console comes out. "Help me build a PC for what a XYZ costs". You can't...

Well the one x has a slower 580 and an old fx apu. Thing is that checkerboard 4k is not at all 4k so they are cheating a bit :p.

4745454b

Titan
There is nothing "Ryzen" in the Xbox 1. It's a custom 8C/8T APU. With some sort of 570/580.

The problem with building your own 4K gaming PC is you'd need to spend the entire $650 budget on the 1080TI. You'd have nothing left over for the board, CPU, PSU, etc. The nice thing is for just a few hundred more you can get a true 4K system. If you are going to spend $650, why not spend the ~$1k and do it right?

Oct 6, 2017

ok u seem to have misunderstood the WHOLE point of this thread.

the Xbox One X does NOT do true 4K (90% of the time) nor does it do 60 fps.

the purpose of this thread is to figure out if a "cheap" gaming PC can outperform the X.

the 1080 ti is an ABSOLUTE monster card, that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Oct 6, 2017

how much does checkerboarding "alleviate" performance over TRUE 4k? and also how much fps is being lost when changing settings from high all the way to ultra.

having an educated answer to these questions can lead us to a "takeaway"

also there is the classic "optimization" factor in favor of the console, which is somewhat of a valid argument to take in consideration!

Oct 6, 2017

if with TRUE 4K gaming you mean EVERTHING MAXED OUT 60 fps... than yeah.

but we both know that the X does not come even close to that tier of performance, so that gpu is totally irrelevant to the question of this "thread".

question being "can an rx 580 match the performance of an Xbox One X?

Oct 6, 2017

so you are implying that the Xbox One X is achieving gtx 1070 / 1080 tier of performance?

because that is FAR from what i happend to learn about the console.

surely you don't need a 1070 to run fallout 4 at checkerboarded 4k and unstable 30 fps...

4745454b

Titan
ok u seem to have misunderstood the WHOLE point of this thread.

the Xbox One X does NOT do true 4K (90% of the time) nor does it do 60 fps.

Easy now. I have an Xbox fanboy at work. You get the One X because you are doing 4k. If you don't have 4k then you can get a smaller/weaker Xbox. Because of this assertion, when I see people talk about the One X I assume they are trying to do 4k gaming. Which to me does indeed mean can you build a 4k gaming PC and spend only $650? Which as I said means you'll need to spend the $650 budget just on the GPU.

It doesn't matter when you tell the fanboys about 30FPS, or "cheats" to get to 4k. When you get the OneX, you are getting a console that can do 4k. Your $650 machine needs to keep up with that.

Oct 6, 2017

Well, when i mention "xbox one x performance" of course i don't mean "xbox fanboy" xbox one x performance... i thought the question of the topic was clear?

4745454b

Titan
But you "jumped" on me when I was talking about 4k performance for some reason. I think when you are talking about the OneX, you are talking about 4k. Can $650 buy you a good 4k gaming machine? Nope. Can $650 get you a good 1080 PC? Much more possible, though shortcuts will still need to be taken.

Checkerboarding lowers the requirements to display an image by about 85%. You can just run fallout 4 at 4k on a gtx 1060 at above 30fps medium detail no problem.

Raw power wise a rx 580 is supposed to be better than whatever is in the xbox x. However the x has the advantage of optimization.

You can tweak to your hearts content on the pc but on the xbox you'll just have to roll with what they give you.

Oct 6, 2017

well i'm sorry if i came out that way.

but it seems that you still are missing the whole point of this topic 4745454b...

it's not " Can $650 get you a good 1080 PC?"
not " Can $650 buy you a good 4k PC?"

it's "Can $650 buy you a PC that matches or outperforms the Xbox One X?"

that is a much different question. if you are NOT aware of how the Xbox One X performs or own yourself a PC with an rx 580 / gtx 1060, then i'm afraid you can't help answer the question this thread poses.

if you are interested in finding out how the X performes then check out the Digital Foudry's youtube channel.

Oct 6, 2017

what?!?!?!?! 85% percent?! that is a STAGGERING amount.

let's say 1800p. how much less gpu power is needed to render that amount of pixels when compared to full 4k?

Thats just from testing we did with ue4 with our christmas finals level.
Checkerboarding is a guessing technique so you will gain a lot of performance. However the lower the resolution the worse the result because it has a lot less pixels to draw from. This is why true 4k is a much sharper image. We only tried 4k and 1440p. (1440 was a blurry mess).

4745454b

Titan
it's not " Can $650 get you a good 1080 PC?"
not " Can $650 buy you a good 4k PC?"

I see what you are saying, but you aren't applying what I'm saying correctly. The One X is a great 1080 console, and a mostly ok 4k machine. No, you can't build a PC for $650 that will play at 4K as well as a console. So when I said you can't spend $650 and play at 4k guess what that means? It means you can't "buy you a PC that matches or outperforms the Xbox One X?" I thought that was understood when I said you'd have to spend the entire budget on the GPU, leaving you no money for anything else. $650 = 1080ti and no money for anything else. Means $650 can't buy you a PC that can keep up with the One X. Means $650 PC is weaker than the One X. (At least at 4k.) Hopefully phrasing it several different ways makes it very clear now how I think a $650 PC will compare to a One X. (While gaming at 4k.)

4745454b

Titan
It what my fanboy at work says. I've tried to disagree with him but he won't listen.

I was also trying to point out you failed to include a resolution. The One or One S can't really game at 4K. That's why they came out with the One X. Yes, it has to use tricks to get you to 4k, but it can do it. Can a $650 PC do that? No. Maybe you skimp and get a 1070 for $450 leaving you $200. You still can't really get everything else you need for $200. Looking only at performance/price that's one reason why consoles are so great. Because when it comes to the performance you get for what you spend, PCs can't touch it.

We see threads like this every time a new console comes out. "Help me build a PC for what a XYZ costs". You can't. That's why consoles are there.

Solution

The problem with this question is that it's an apples and oranges comparison. There are so many variables, so many factors to consider that any comparison simply falls apart before a case for either side can even be made.

Sounds like you've answered your question yourself.

Oct 6, 2017

yeah i had to dig deep to find any usable comparison, seems like the guys over PC world have done the work for me!