Can't seem to get 1866-MHz to work on AMD FX8350 System

rpfnyc

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Hi, Im new and this is my very first post on Toms Hardware.
Though I have been reading Toms Hardware for ages.
In regards to my problem on the other hand,
I have read so many forum post pages that I started to get a headache.
been reading and reading and reading and reading.......
Ok so I did my research and found out that my Motherboard, CPU and Memory ALL
can do 1866-MHz.
Here are my specs:::
A. - CPU - AMD-8350
B. - DDR3 (1866) - CMY16GX3M2A1866C9 - [32-GB in a "4-Stick configuration"]
C. - Motherboard - 990FXA-UD5 - [1866-MHz compatible motherboard]

These pictures are my BIOS settings...
https://imgur.com/a/YTPoX

I have tried MANY combinations to try to get my memory to go to 1866-MHz
but all it does is loop back to the BIOS and tell me that it cant boot.
There are the settings I tred.

9-11-9-28
9-11-11-28
10-11-10-30
9-10-9-27
10-10-10-27
10-10-10-30

all set to 1.5v as per mentioned by Corsair that says 1866-MHz does not need any voltage higher than 1.5v
So I kept it at 1.5v
But since it did not work for any one of the combinations I tried above,
I also tried 1.525, 1.550 and 1.6v and none of those work either.
I spent a good portion of 2 days trying to get this to work.

CPUZ reports that I am STILL doing only 1333-MHz and NOT 1866-MHz like I want to.
here is the CPUZ pic.

https://imgur.com/5fJjF7y

I even tried the CPUZ suggested settings as seen in this picture for the 1866-MHz setting
https://imgur.com/Gu0mt0W

And it still wont do it.
This is my Motherboard -->> https://imgur.com/O455xhq 990FXA-UD5 v3

Can someone please tell me whats going on, because im breaking my head here and
cant figure out why my computer wont go to 1866-MHz. ??
Thank you.

Solution
Although I don't actually have your MB myself, I have reviewed the Manual and here is where you set your DRAM Voltage in M.I.T /Advanced Voltage Settings.
iL3xoBj.jpg

Change this to your desired Voltage and you can go up to 1.6V however, keep an eye on DRAM temperature as this can kill your RAM. I believe you should also keep VTT voltage within .5V of your DRAM Voltage.
I hope it works for you. Good Luck. If not you may have to accept what is given.
Hi rpfnyc :)

FB Bios is dated 01/23/2013. There are updates and I recommend you update yours to revision FC as this may (or may not) fix your issue. You may have to make Bios changes again from default. Your XMP profile should work however check the Command rate is set to 2T.
Have just one module in the first slot to try. If it works then switch modules around in case one is failing.
Ensure all modules are seated correctly.

rpfnyc

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
(MeanMachine41)
I updated the BIOS, my system now has the FC version. I rebooted the system first for stability reasons,
Because I didnt want to fuss with anything after a BIOS update. Once it updated, I purposely restarted and booted again for reassurance.
With that done, I then went in and set the DDR3 settings to 9-10-9-27 as per suggested by Corsair for the specific ram modules I have,
Which the model number is posted in my first post.
The system didnt like that, it tossed me back to the BIOS.
then I tried 10-11-10-30 and that didnt work either, this time even after saving the settings in BIOS,
The system just booted BUT, when I go into CPUZ application the memory is still set to 9-9-9-24

The CPU says it can handle 1866-MHz
The motherboard says it can hadle 1866-MHz
The Ram modules say it can handle 1866-MHz
But yet nothing wants to go to 1866-MHz
Nothing seems to work no matter what numbers I throw at it.

OK, So what SPD frequency are you now getting.?

Lets recap.
In M.I.T you set XMP to profile 1
Checked your DRAM voltage = 1.5V

I can't think why it should not work unless the CPUs IMC will not allow the XMP profile. Have not encountered this however I have heard some AMD FX chips would not accept XMP till the Bios was updated.

rpfnyc

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
(MeanMachine41)

PICTURE:
https://imgur.com/a/v8SbD

Using both CPUID Hardware Monitor & Open Hardware Monitor applications, as I was informed to get from someone else,
They point out to me that Gigabyte motherboard tends to not actually give proper voltage of 1.5v
specially & "specifically" on AMD motherboards, as they pointed out here in this picture I took and sent to them.
If you look on the top left side of the picture you will notice that the DRAM is set to 1.488v and not the full 1.5v

Then I came here to check up on responses to my post to find that you also mention it as well.

I dont know how to change this, and I dont want to accidentally place voltages on something and have my motherboard zap out
because I applied the wrong voltage on the wrong thing. So I came here to see if anyone else had any info on it,
And I found your response.

If this is correct..... please guide me on how to place the 1.5v properly
Note, when I went into the BIOS, I did NOT see this 1.488v anywhere in the voltage section of ram or other area.

I have all the BIOS pictures above, please tell me where exactly I need to make the changes, if I need to.

Thank you.

Although I don't actually have your MB myself, I have reviewed the Manual and here is where you set your DRAM Voltage in M.I.T /Advanced Voltage Settings.
iL3xoBj.jpg

Change this to your desired Voltage and you can go up to 1.6V however, keep an eye on DRAM temperature as this can kill your RAM. I believe you should also keep VTT voltage within .5V of your DRAM Voltage.
I hope it works for you. Good Luck. If not you may have to accept what is given.

Solution