Need Help!! 1060 6GB vs RX 580

senpaikiller9

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
So I decided to go ahead and buy a gaming PC for Christmas!

I chose the AMD Ryzen 1600 and I'm planing to game on the 1080p resolution and am not interested in 1440p.

So I need help now.

Both GPUs are roughly the same price ( AMD one is a bit cheaper )

**I am buying my parts from Germany**

Which GPU do you recommend and why?
I do plan to play AAA title games ( not just AAA but anything that catches my eye new or old ) and want my card to last as long as possible ( 2-4 yrs )
What do you think?
Which card will perform better on DX12 games and why?
I really do have a dilemma right now and also I'm going to wait for 14 days at least to see if there's going to be a holiday discount.
Do I need a stronger PSU for the AMD one?
Are the Nvidia cards better overall ?( because I heard that Nvidia sponsors some games and that those games perform way better than the AMD ones )
P.S. my room is a bit small so I think that the heat from the card will be a very considerable thing because I don't want it to overheat.

Thank you all for the answers in advance!!

Solution

that is a plus on AMD side

I do plan to play AAA title games ( not just AAA but anything that catches my eye new or old ) and want my card to last as long as possible ( 2-4 yrs )
What do you think?

both card should do just fine in that regard. we hope.

DX12 is hit and miss. some DX12 tittle perform faster on nvidia some on AMD depending on which manufacturer sponsored the game although AMD did try to push for low level API more than nvidia. when i say hit and miss DX12 did not always boost performance. this is even true for AMD hardware. case in point just look at Battlefront 2. with DX12 AMD...

that is a plus on AMD side

What do you think?

both card should do just fine in that regard. we hope.

DX12 is hit and miss. some DX12 tittle perform faster on nvidia some on AMD depending on which manufacturer sponsored the game although AMD did try to push for low level API more than nvidia. when i say hit and miss DX12 did not always boost performance. this is even true for AMD hardware. case in point just look at Battlefront 2. with DX12 AMD finally have some edge over nvidia but using DX11 still net significantly more performance for both AMD and nvidia. though in DX11 AMD no longer have the performance advantage over nvidia.

Do I need a stronger PSU for the AMD one?

yes. even for factory overclocked model the 1060 most often consume about the same as reference one around 120w-130w. 150w at most for some expensive factory overclocked model due to over engineered on power delivery front. for factory overclocked RX580 they most often consume around 220w-240w. at over 1400mhz they usually consume around 240w. that is roughly twice as much power than some 1060.

but when it comes to power supply i like to go a bit higher than the one required by the card. if you have good quality 650w unit for example you will have no issue to power even high end GPU. this means it will not going to restrict GPU upgrade in the future.

Are the Nvidia cards better overall ?( because I heard that Nvidia sponsors some games and that those games perform way better than the AMD ones )

not really. both AMD and nvidia sponsored many games all the the time. if there is advantage to nvidia their card normally work better on old games and many non triple A games including MMO in the market.

Solution