RX 550 issue while gaming (game freezes, screen blinks, etc)

harley0420

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am encountering an issue with my new recently bought graphics card, which is a Gigabyte Radeon RX 550 2GB GDDR5 OC Edition. I used to have a Gigabyte Geforce 210, that was afterwards replaced by a Gigabyte Geforce GT 620. Both of theses GPUs showed no problems at all (except for the low performance, which is kinda expected since they're both very low budget cards). But ever since i upgraded to the RX 550 (the card arrived last friday), whatever game i play (for instance, Rocket League or Blur) plays normally but, all of the sudden, the game freezes for a couple seconds, the screen blinks, it shows me the desktop and then the game returns, and that same thing keeps happening over and over again...

Doing a bit of research, i came up with related problems, mostly due to driver issues. However, i get no error messages when the freezing and the blinking happens. I tried changing TdrDelay, using DDU and reinstalling drivers several times, tried several different driver versions. Also tried lowering clock speeds and related options in the Radeon settings, but ain't got nowhere near of solving this problem.

Here are my PC specs:
Gigabyte G31T-M7 MOBO
C3Tech 500W PSU
2x2GB DDR2 667 RAM
Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz
Gigabyte Radeon RX 550 2GB GDDR5 OC Edition

I'm thinking this could only mean that i got a faulty version of the RX 550, because the older cards work just fine. And i think it can't be the PSU, since it should handle everything very fine, as the RX 550 is a very low power-consumption card.

Also, i had a couple instances of the whole PC freezing (needing restart) and also a white screen, followed by the PC turning off by itself.

Any help would be very appreciated!!

My suspicion is a bios issue. Your computer is very old, the 550 is very new. Newer cards can be problematic with old motherboards. A Google search gives me ECS as the company for G31T-M7, not Gigabyte. Are you sure you have that right?

The other thing is how you connect it to the monitor. These cards are digital output only, not analog(ie VGA).

The only driver you need is the latest from AMD.

The other cards are older tech, which is why they have no problem with this motherboard.

harley0420

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017

It actually is ECS, you're right. Sorry. But when you say "bios issue", you mean resetting the bios by removing the battery can work out as a fix? Or you mean "bios issue" as for me to replace the mobo?

The RX 550 is connected to my TV, through HDMI. I've installed several versions of the Radeon drivers, newer, older, etc etc, but none of them solved the gameplay problem.

If it was a problem due to the mobo being old, wouldn't it give me no screen at all, or laggy gameplay? Because it works fine as for using the PC normally, using the internet etc, and i can actually max out the settings of several games. Rocket League runs smoothly on 60 FPS with maxed out settings, but the issues start happening after 1-2 minutes through the game.