Help with 960 Pro m.2 NVMe SSD & Asus Rampage IV extreme mobo

StarFyreXXX

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Hi all,

Haven't looked at components in a long time. Saw a sale and got the samsung 960 pro m.2 nvme SSD (the pcie card one).

Just opened up the case and see that it doesn't look like it will fit. The little spacer on the SSD wont line up to the notch in the motherboard pcie slot and after looking it up; i thought the m.2 was a type of version # but it appears its a new form of slot? *sigh*

so questions - looked up and saw lots of instructions to make the drive bootable, etc. I'm not changing my booting SSD; this drive is just for extra higher speed storage (games mainly). Essentially like a new secondary HDD.

so:

1) can i stick it into the rampage IV PCI slots anywhere along its length (where it can fit? since it wont fit at the very end of the slot due to the spacer) or do i need another type of expansion converter card first?

2) i see some people using some type of bios update for these drives but is that just if you want it bootable?

Got it from newegg.ca so i think i can return it...

Regards,

SS

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Solution
You have pcie slots available, so I think an adapter card will do it like this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB274850252&cm_re=m.2_pcie_adapter-_-1Z5-0018-00020-_-Product&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=11552995&PID=2012219&SID=

m.2 is really a size format.

StarFyreXXX

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
So ignoring the bootable aspect, since it appears the NVME drives aren't supported by the motherboard officially, would it even detect without doing those bios updates? From what i read, it appears like its not an officially supported update... haven't had time yet to read all about it...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
yes the adapter will read the drive and windows will see it just like any other hard drive, without the possibility of boot.
the drive may require a driver in windows and once that is installed you are good to go.
I was fighting with my nephews PC trying to get boot but secondary storage went without a hitch. his board did not support m.2 either