i7-8700 stuck at 3.2ghz

othertom

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
My new i7-8700 (non-k) is performing very poorly in single thread bench tests. The results I've gotten are:

CPU-Z Single Thread: 374.5 (average is ~492)
CPU Mark Single Thread: 1929 (average is 2580)

Temperatures never get above 57 C during the single thread stress tests, so I doubt it's a thermal issue.

Looking at HWMonitor, the clock frequencies have never exceeded 3200 Mhz. I suspect that Turbo Boost is not engaging, but I can't figure out why.

Bios is TurboBoost = Enabled.
Windows Power setting is set to High Performance.

Any ideas for what might be causing this?

MB: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: 16GB G.Skill V 3000 (XMP 2.0 enabled)

Thanks.

Zedjulz316

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
is the cpu caped at 3.2 ghz in the bios? Maybe try to overclock it yourself at like 4ghz within the bios. Also check CPU utilization during the test, maybe cpu-z is allowed to push the cpu.

othertom

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017

Thanks for the suggestion.

The Bios does indicate the max CPU speed is 3200mhz, but because it is a locked (non-k) processor, I don't have any ability to change that. There's no way for me to change the multiplier, which isn't even displayed. I can see the BCLK frequency, but it's set to 102.7 and reverts back to that value whenever I try to increase it.

I had thought that TurboBoost was intended to work without manually setting an OC. Is it possible that my mobo isn't functioning properly and is inhibiting it?

The benchmark tests bring the CPU utilization to 100% and hover there, so I don't think it's a lack of demand issue.

othertom

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017

It turned out to be a BIOS issue. I flashed it to the newest version and sure enough, immediate boost. Too much, even. Now it's stuck at 4700 Mhz! I don't have anything close to the cooling setup to handle this, so I'll be working with ASRock to get this resolved.