FX 8350 Overclocking limits withouth voltage help!

ezioxtz

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017
Hello!
So i've bought a FX 8350 with the Wraith Cooler (the one i currently use) and i've wanted to give it a shot and overclock the CPU, i tried from 4.0 stock to 4.3 from the bios using the multiplier to (21.5) and i've noticed a huge difference in games. I got like somewhere between 20 to 35 fps boost and no more drops to 30 in any of them.
Now my question, is it ok to leave it like that, i left everything to auto (what was default ) so the cpu can go to 1 point something when it's idle and not stay permanently at 4.3 . Another thing is the voltage, i really don't want to mess with it and i left that too at auto/default, i mean i didn't change anything ( on hw monitor it says it can go max to 1.368, same when i bought the CPU)
So, is it ok? Can there be any damage or can i leave it like that withouth changing the voltage, my temps are the same with or withouth the overclock (30 in idle and 56-59 in use) and i've never had a problem like shutting down, restarting or things like that.
And one more thing, i don't know if that's a huge overclock or a medium/low but it gives me a really nice boost but i don't want to ruin something.
Edit: forgot to ask one more thing, can i leave the clock permenently like that when i know i won't be playing demanding games or do browsing stuff instead of load default settings and then overclock again, or is it a bad idea?
Thank you in advance!

Full specs:
RX 580 Aorus 8GB
FX 8350 4.0
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2X4) 1333mhz
Asus M5A97 R2.0
Corsair CX 600
WD Caviar Black 1TB and WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Solution
Well if it's stable it's fine, you don't want to add more voltage to a CPU for no reason it will only increase heat and power consumption. Not using enough voltage will only cause instability, it wont hurt the CPU.

59c under load is fine, AMD recommends package temp stay below 62c for prolonged use I believe it will throttle around 70c.

It's not a very extreme overclock at all, I ran my FX 8350 at 4.9ghz solid for years with no issues I dont use it anymore but it does still work today. It is not a fragile CPU, as long as you keep temps in check and voltage below 1.45v or so it will likely keep working until it is obsolete and likely years after.

If the CPU drops clocks at idle like you said then going back to stock every time you...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well if it's stable it's fine, you don't want to add more voltage to a CPU for no reason it will only increase heat and power consumption. Not using enough voltage will only cause instability, it wont hurt the CPU.

59c under load is fine, AMD recommends package temp stay below 62c for prolonged use I believe it will throttle around 70c.

It's not a very extreme overclock at all, I ran my FX 8350 at 4.9ghz solid for years with no issues I dont use it anymore but it does still work today. It is not a fragile CPU, as long as you keep temps in check and voltage below 1.45v or so it will likely keep working until it is obsolete and likely years after.

If the CPU drops clocks at idle like you said then going back to stock every time you don't need he overclock would just be a waste of time. Like I said I kept my FX 8350 at 4.9ghz solid and didn't allow it to drop at idle and it was perfectly fine like that for 4 years.

Solution

ezioxtz

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017

Thank you very much for your detailed answer, i learnt some new things, have a good day man !