850 EVO How do I use this as external storage w/ USB sata?

jordaldo

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017
I have an 850 EVO that has a lot of information I want to keep on it, cloning the drive is a non-option, and when I tried to just plug it in and read it windows just pops up with an error being unable to read it. The Samsung migration software just wants to, well, migrate everything. I don't want that, I want to actively use it as a drive with the info currently on it.

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016
Before you do anything I would test the drive in other computer to make sure that the drive actually works.

Choose the boot device manually in the bios so the motherboard doesn't get confused with 2 boot partitions.

This way you can avoid spending money on an unnecessary enclosure.

SATA for the most part always works, assuming the power cable and data cable are connected and the drive isn't dead.

NVME ... is a different story.

jordaldo

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017
1. don't have another computer
2. I downloaded the recuva program and I can comb through the files in that, but that's not exactly going to let me use it as an external drive.

I can get my files though... so there's that. but for the temporary usage of this laptop I have was hoping to just use the ssd as portable storage so I can keep everything I'm doing