Rx 580 crossfire vs 1080

LiquidMotionz

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
I currently own a nitro + rx 580 8gb and play @1080p and i have a 144hz monitor and was wondering overall in games like overwatch, crisis and destiny 2 if i could get a steady 144fps with buying another 580 or if I'm better off selling my 580 and buying a 1080

Solution
Hi there. I run a 480 crossfire and a lot of my friends have a single 1080. Here's some of the pros/cons to the crossfire:

Pros:
It would be less of a cost to upgrade
You will see very similar performance in games THAT SUPPORT CROSSFIRE. Many even popular games do not!

Cons:
GPU market is very high right now, and the 580's are very overpriced
Lots more power consumption, need correct cabling and PSU for it.
You need a board that supports it and runs at least x8 by x8 -- no x16 x4 BS.
Many (even AAA) titles don't support it, so it's useless in some scenarios.

My biggest complaint with the experience is the lack of Crossfire support, the occasional Crossfire glitches in games like Witcher 3 and PUBG (was unplayable on Crossfire), and...

ryanfranzese

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
Hi there. I run a 480 crossfire and a lot of my friends have a single 1080. Here's some of the pros/cons to the crossfire:

Pros:
It would be less of a cost to upgrade
You will see very similar performance in games THAT SUPPORT CROSSFIRE. Many even popular games do not!

Cons:
GPU market is very high right now, and the 580's are very overpriced
Lots more power consumption, need correct cabling and PSU for it.
You need a board that supports it and runs at least x8 by x8 -- no x16 x4 BS.
Many (even AAA) titles don't support it, so it's useless in some scenarios.

My biggest complaint with the experience is the lack of Crossfire support, the occasional Crossfire glitches in games like Witcher 3 and PUBG (was unplayable on Crossfire), and the heat it creates. Even having custom cards, identical, in a mid tower, I can still see 80+ degree temps on the top card.

I'd recommend the 1080, despite my AMD fanboyism.

Though, I do enjoy Freesync, and I believe Freesync has a better future than GSync.

Solution

LiquidMotionz

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
Currently my temps on load my gpu sits @ 52-60 my mobo supports crossfire, i bought my psu with crossfire in mind. My mobo is rotated 90 degrees so they wont be stacked. I'm staying in 1080p and just want that tad bit more performance for 144fps max settings