i7 3770 to i3 8100 worth it?

janneauclaude

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
Hello guys i was planning to move over to the new gen and i would like to start with the i3 8100 and then slowly move to the i5 8400 once the prices here on my country lower downs. ( the current price for an i5 8400 here is almost twice the srp ). Would it be worth it for now? I think i'd upgrade to i5 2-3 years after

Solution
Coffee lake only has a 2 year lifespan max so doing it in 2 hits would be pointless,by the time you come to changing the cpu it would likely be discontinued.

The i3 8100 does have significantly better single core performance but dropping 4 threads makes no sense at all - for gaming it will essentially be worse in multi threaded titles.

The i5 8400 is an upgrade ,the i3 8100 half is & half isn't - its just not a sensible choice.

If the main priority is getting onto a current gen platform without losing performance then a ryzen 1400 at stock has similar performance to a 3770 & when overclocked can be significantly better.

Thats the cheapest cpu Id recommend to get you on a new platform without compromising the performance you're...
Coffee lake only has a 2 year lifespan max so doing it in 2 hits would be pointless,by the time you come to changing the cpu it would likely be discontinued.

The i3 8100 does have significantly better single core performance but dropping 4 threads makes no sense at all - for gaming it will essentially be worse in multi threaded titles.

The i5 8400 is an upgrade ,the i3 8100 half is & half isn't - its just not a sensible choice.

If the main priority is getting onto a current gen platform without losing performance then a ryzen 1400 at stock has similar performance to a 3770 & when overclocked can be significantly better.

Thats the cheapest cpu Id recommend to get you on a new platform without compromising the performance you're already used to.

Just shows what a truly great cpu the 3770 actually was & still is.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS