Rx 580 sapphire nitro plus (8 gb) card performance

guilhermefurlan

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Hey people what's up ?

I've just bought a rx 580 8gb, 1411 clock speed

The thing is, while playing overwatch I only got 60-70 fps on epic 1080p, which surprises me because I thought it'd be better

Is my i5 3300 bottlenecking it ? (I don't think it's that the problem because even tho the i5 3300 is a little bit off dated, overwatch is not that cpu heavy)

Should I try to do something or it's just normal ?

Second, I just downloaded the driver for it but nothing much special, is there anything else ?

Third, I only connected the 1x8 power pin, should I connect the 1x6 power pin as well, even if I'm not going to overclock it ? Will ot give me a better performance than now maybe ?!

And least, I thought the fan led would Turn on, but the only thing that turned on was the sapphire name led

And sorry for these questions it's just that I got me wondering all of that and I'm still a newbie when talking about hardwares haha

Also if there is something else I have to know about the card please let me know

Thanks a lot

Solution
You really need to connect both power connectors to the graphics card. I am not sure why it says optional, but when a graphics card has 2 power inputs, you provide it with 2 power inputs. Your fans will glow and you will get performance boost as the GPU will not be power limited.

System Requirement
500 Watt Power Supply (Suggestion)
1 x 8-pin + 1 x 6-pin (optional) AUX Power Connector
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive for installing software

http://sapphirenitro.sapphiretech.com/en/580-LE.html#specifications
At 1080p more weight is put on the CPU. That is why benchmarks are performed at 1080p most often (and cuz most popular resolution). I had a 980ti with a 2500k @4.4GHz, and I had a slight bottleneck. I mention that cuz my 2500k is old like your i5 , but mine outperforms yours due to higher frequency. So, yes you are getting some bottlenecking.

But first, you must plug in both cables that are needed. If it comes with a 6pin and 8pin, then plug them both in. Plug the other in.

Also, download MSI Afterburner instead of Sapphire's GPU software. MSI's is better and you can check your clock speed there.

guilhermefurlan

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Pretty sure I should connect the other 1x6 pin connector ? (Just to confirm)

And yeah maybe some bottlenecking but still some pretty low performance don't you think ?

And yes I downloaded the msi afterburner the problem here os that I put all the settings (Watched some couple tutorials) and it didn't work out, when I turn the thing on to see my fls ratings and The other information it doesn't show up

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
You really need to connect both power connectors to the graphics card. I am not sure why it says optional, but when a graphics card has 2 power inputs, you provide it with 2 power inputs. Your fans will glow and you will get performance boost as the GPU will not be power limited.

System Requirement
500 Watt Power Supply (Suggestion)
1 x 8-pin + 1 x 6-pin (optional) AUX Power Connector
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive for installing software

http://sapphirenitro.sapphiretech.com/en/580-LE.html#specifications

Solution

guilhermefurlan

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Yeah thanks bro, I'm going to connect the second power connector today, my psu is a corsair cx 550w the gray label one (the new model)

Do you think I'm gonna get some better fps ? 60 is not what I expected for 1080p gaming lol

And do you know about the fans ? If the led of the fans should turn on or it's just the sapphire name

guilhermefurlan

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
It's almost the same bro, only the speed clock that is 1411 mhz instead of 1450

Also, about the cd rom for downloading the software, I've already download from amd website

Should I still try to download it from the cd rom because it's different or it's the same thing ?

guilhermefurlan

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Any idea about the led on the fans ?

Do you think i should make a fan curve ? Yesterday I saw it gets around 67 degress with the fan around 40%, I don't care about noise, is it a good idea making this fan curve ? Wouldn't pushing the fan over going to make it last less time ? Because I want it to last around 5 hears at least

guilhermefurlan

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Hey buddies, just a up-date

I put the 1x6 connector, and it runs fine and more than 60 fps, would get around 70 sometimes on epic settings

And the CPU is not bottlenecking it btw, the cpu gets 60% ( the maximum I've seen), so it's pretty good and no need of upgrading my cpu set for now

I think the gpu itself gets to its limit (would have 99% usage on the game)

Just to let you guys know =)

Overwatch is supposed to be an easy game on systems, while giving high fps. Now, that you're GPU has proper power you should be very happy...and can postpone major system upgrade to next year.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
1) Low CPU utilization doesn't mean the CPU is not the bottleneck. CPU utilization consists of many things. It depends on how the game is optimised. If a game is optimised to use more cores and threads ( BF1 e.g.), it will utilize all threads at max speeds. It may show CPU utilization near 40% on some CPUs and yet utilize 90% on others and be faster. e.g. my R5 1600 is never above 30% utilization in any game. However, it doesn't mean that it is the fastest CPU in the world. An i7 8700k will still beat it in many games. Reason: 8700k is much faster than R5 1600 in terms of IPC and core speed. Overwatch is not a very threaded game. It favors CPUs with faster cores. So, an i3 with faster core speed may end up faster than your i5 even though it has less physical cores. If you are getting bottlenecks, it is most likely due to your platform, check the article below. They are using i7 7700k and still manage only 79-94 FPS. You are getting a very good performance. Please quit worrying about the card. It is the whole tower that needs to be changed to make an impact on the FPS of overwatch.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1393-radeon-rx-580-vs-geforce-gtx-1060/page3.html

2) Coil whine noises in graphics cards is usually caused by low cost components used to build them. Sapphire is a respected brand and this is not really expected from them. But, any bunch of grapes can have a bad grape, so I'd give them a benefit of doubt. If the whine occurs, you have to live with it. Please read the article below and I remember watching a video by Linus on Youtube explaining the phenomenon. Look it up. I am at work and youtube is out reach right now.

In most cases, the only problem of having a coil whine is the annoying sound and thats it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/graphics-card-coil-whine-annoying-but-is-it-a-sign-of-bad-card.209865/

guilhermefurlan

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
I wouldn't say that coil whine is due to bad quality either, have seen some good builds with coil whine anyway

Hey bro I created a post about wheter I should make a fan curve to this card or what I should do, can you give me a help please ?

Btw I'm happy about the performance of my build =)

And the psu is not as bad quality as it could be, it's a cx 550w gray label