I5 8400 vs. I7 8700K in 4k gaming

hendrickhere

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
Community,

I’m looking at a new build and the primary function is 4k gaming. I’m going with the coffee lake CPU and I need to decide between an I5 8400 vs. I7 8700K in 4k gaming and I just can’t find the data I want.

We all know the 8700K is faster BUT at 4k on a 60hz monitor, what will be the real difference? If I was at 1080p this would be over now but there seems to be diminishing returns at 4k, right? The $200 difference in price makes me strongly consider the 8400 if the difference in frames -per-second is less than say 6-7%. If it’s 10% I want the 8700K.

Other things to consider - I will be getting a mother board that supports sli so I can add another 1080ti if it ever comes to that need. Would that make a real difference?

Thanks for all your help!

Solution
If your current CPU can do 60 FPS in games you play, and you do not plan to get monitor with refresh higher then 60 Hz, then you will not see much difference. You can easily delay hardware swap till later, when you acquire new games that need more CPU power.

hendrickhere

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016

OK - so is there a gaming advantage to upgrading my CPU at all? I'm currently sitting with an overclock FX 8370 with an 1080ti and getting a constant 60 fps in most games ( like Destiny 2 and high 50's but mainly 60s in Witcher 3 with hairworks on). If I'm not going to see a strong return I may just stay with my current set-up.

If your current CPU can do 60 FPS in games you play, and you do not plan to get monitor with refresh higher then 60 Hz, then you will not see much difference. You can easily delay hardware swap till later, when you acquire new games that need more CPU power.

Solution