Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Well, in light of that then I'd have to agree that it's probably something related to a fault or limitation of the motherboard. If you CAN get a motherboard with a UEFI bios, that would be the better option so long as there is not a major difference in price because then it will stand a much better chance of offering ongoing bios updates, support for a newer and broader range of hardware and potentially continue to support newer hardware if you keep the system long enough to need for it to do so.

Otherwise, you might actually be somewhat limited to whatever is still out there and available. Obviously there are no longer any of these boards being manufactured so you are stuck with either new old stock (NOS) or used. I'd probably shoot...

jokersupersport74

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
the power supply is new 500w ...i just ran the amd clean up software so iam ready to try anything that will help ...i had the rx-480 and had the same issue but the rx 550 is a smaller lower power consumption card i installed it on my asus pc and it works fine but it doesnt on my intel board ....

jokersupersport74

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
my specs are fine to iam running q9550 quad 8gb of ram and ssd ....it's a custom old build with all new hardware i ordered a new 760 optiplex board with 2.0 pcix16 single slot witch 3.0 is backwards compable with 2.0 i proved that with my asus board i litterally just pulled a nvidia card out of it that ran fine just wasnt what i was looking for...ive ran driver pack sul,driver booster pro,windows update,ran ddu in safe mode disabled driver signature the list goes on l

Ok, so you apparently have all the answers, are bound and determined to do your own thing and are clearly not going to take direction well, so I guess you really don't need any help after all. Oh, and by the way, I didn't ask what size power supply you had. I asked what the model was. It might be 500w but it might be a 500w piece of crap. Not all 500w units are even remotely close to the same quality and 75% of them cannot maintain ANYWHERE near their rated wattage.

But you probably already knew that too. Good luck.

jokersupersport74

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
i was just explaining what iv'e done so far i really appreciate some help to fix the issue sorry didn't mean to sound so sure i just wanted to give all the details at hand incase i missed something somewhere....ill take any advice i can get and it's much appreciated

Ok, so you just PROBABLY answered your own question. Bottom line is, with a cheap power supply, which 90% of the time IS the issue anyhow, it's pretty much impossible to figure out what else MIGHT be wrong with the build because none of your hardware can function correctly if the power supply is not functioning correctly.

A bad power supply can look like pretty much every other hardware component has failed or is failing because they ALL rely on the power supply. Power supply is no bueno, everything is no bueno.

That being said, I would STILL first try running the DDU as outlined in my tutorial that I linked to above. The AMD utility isn't worth a crap. It doesn't remove bad registry entries or many of the files and folders that often cause problems. The Display driver uninstaller (DDU) removes ALL of the commonly problematic registry entries and folders/files/drivers that cause issues. So follow the instructions, run the DDU, do a clean install of the most recent AMD drivers for your card and then see what happens.

Also, if you have not already you might want to find and install the latest AMD chipset drivers off the AMD website, AFTER you run the DDU and reinstall the GPU card drivers.

Since your CPU is so old, it's possible that there is simply a resource incompatibility due to the age of the hardware OR a problem with your chipset.

If none of that help then I'd probably replace the PSU, actually, I'd do that anyhow. You REALLY need a better PSU, I hate to say it since you apparently just got that one, but there is is anyhow.

And, if it has been a long time, or never, since you did a clean install of the Windows operating system, that's probably not a bad idea if nothing else seems to help. Something is triggering that code and if none of this works it may just be a bad card.

jokersupersport74

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
i just hooked it up to 1000 watt psu and iam running ddu as we speak ....should i just manually isntall the driver from the disk when all that is done to see if that works from the device manger

Just found out about this too. Do NOT install the AMD Adrenaline package. Install the previous driver package.

What operating system and bit version are you running. The adrenaline package is causing problems for a lot of users including problems like yours, overheating and micro-freezing.

Had you installed the AMD Adrenaline package before these problems started?

I would suggest using this driver version at least for now:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous/detail?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064&rev=17.11.1

Yeah, don't "delete", you need to run the DDU again if you installed ANY drivers since the last time you ran the DDU and especially if you installed the Adrenaline drivers since you ran the DDU.

Run the DDU again, make sure you choose the AMD option, probably a really good idea to first boot into safe mode before running the DDU because there are some files that can't be removed in regular windows.

You can boot into safe mode by pressing the shift button while you click on restart if you are in Windows 10. For other versions of windows you can restart and then once the screen goes blank after saying "Restarting" start pressing the F8 button repeatedly until the advance boot menu options come up. Select Safe mode and then once you are in Windows run the DDU. After it is done it should restart and you can then install the 17.11.1 drivers I linked to earlier. I would download the 17.11.1 driver package BEFORE running the DDU so that you are already ready to go.

Ok.

What are the EXACT specs for the hardware you are trying to use this card with? Post the exact, full model numbers for your:

CPU
Motherboard
Power supply
Memory
Storage drives

AND approximately how long (That you know of) those parts have been in service for.

Once I have that information, we can go from there.

jokersupersport74

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Motherboar is a dell optiplex 760,8gb of ddr2 800mhz,cpu is a q9550 quad 13 mb cash 1333,power supply iam using is just a spare it's a kingwing 1000 watt 80+ bronze I ll check the storage driver when I get off work

Ok, well those aren't part numbers.

Dell optiplex is the computer, not the motherboard. The motherboard will have a model number printed right on the motherboard somewhere.

As far as the memory goes, how many modules are there? What is the voltage and latency? Are all of the memory modules exactly the same or are they mix and match? Model numbers tell us that.

Power supply, while it IS helpful to know the capacity and series, it's of far greater importance to know the model number. They could sell two different 1000w units and one might be decent while the other is total trash. Fact is I happen to know that both Venus and Kinguin are known for garbage units, but there might be a few good Kinguin units out there too.

These are important factors and just knowing generalized descriptions is not particularly helpful without also knowing the exact model numbers.

jokersupersport74

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Type: DDR2 DIMM Desktop memory
Function: Non-ECC
Frequency: PC2-6400U 800MHz
Number of Pins: 240pin
Memory capacity:2GB
Memory voltage: 1.8V
I don't know the latecy
And there are 4 modules 2gb apeace

Motherboard model..m858n

Iam not around the psu I'll send that when iam off you may be able to eliminate the info I provided so at least... I really appreciate you helping me this far iam really learning new things

Ok, so please explain to me exactly what is happening? When you connect the display to this card and turn the power on, do you get any display at all or just "no signal" on the monitor? I guess I'm not sure exactly WHAT it is that's going on, since you've never actually said other than error 42.

jokersupersport74

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Ok I install the card in the pci express lane and start up the PC then proceed to install the driver it goes through all the normal and software and it finishes and I restart after boot it shows the card in the device manager but has a yellow triangle and has code 43 no matter what I try ....i tried everything you posted and still same thing happens

How could you see the card having a code 43 with a yellow triangle, unless the card was working?

If you are connecting with the monitor connected to the motherboard video output, it's not a wonder the card shows up boofed up.

Is you monitor cable plugged into the video output on the motherboard or the video output on the graphics card? Because if it's connected to the graphics card, there's no way you should be able to see it borked up in device manager. It should be working at that point, and obviously IS if it is connected and you are able to see it.

Otherwise, if you are connected to the motherboard video output, then you need to unplug, connect to the video card output and then see what happens.

If it IS connected to the card output and you ARE seeing the remarked hardware in device manager then I would suggest that you try going into the bios and look for any settings related to the graphics card that might be relevant. Honestly though, looking at this board now that I know the model, my suspicion is that the motherboard is simply too old to support a primarily only UEFI compatible graphics card because your motherboard has a legacy bios that probably does not have any kind of bios update available.

In fact, that board is so old I cannot even find any information on it on either the ASUS or Dell websites. Only on third party sites and only limited information. You probably need a newer system for this card or an older card for that board.

jokersupersport74

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
I only have the monitor cable into the video card and I checked the bios setting and have it set to auto on the video setting ... the card is working in the system just the driver will not install I have the bios set to legacy boot I don't remember the other options on the bios.....i just don't understand because I build one with the same board for my father and used a similar card just lower ram on the card and it works great... And I have the newest bios for the board.... I watched a video on YouTube with a guy that built one custom modern warfare 3 paint with a nvidia card with same specs ....its driving me crazy

Ok. Have you tried a full clean install of the OS, WITH the card installed? That would really be the only other option left. If that doesn't work, then there is either a problem with the card itself or your motherboard simply is unable to support the card.

Since you say the card works fine in another system, then it has to be either a conflict in the OS or a problem with the lack of support in the motherboard firmware.

If you want to do the clean install, this is how to proceed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html

Status
Not open for further replies.