HD 7990 on 62.5A +12V Rail

AnthonyMooreDevices

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
Hello, I'm wanting to buy a Malta/AMD HD7990 which I've seen can take up to a total system draw of 620w, which is great because the Rosewill ARC 750w 80plus bronze unit is efficient at around 600-660w if you do the math. It's aldo only $50 for the PSU on Newegg which is crazy because I bought My 450w ARC for $45... 300 more watts for $5 and I see that the HD 7990 even with a disabled 2nd GPU is still an HD7970 which I've seen handle pretty much any game maxed at 1080p/1440p 30-80fps, which is fine for Me. I want it for the nostalgia factor, I've never had an all AMD system or dualGPU setup, and figured why jump straight to the RX & Ryzen line, maybe next build. The only thing bothering Me is that it might not work very well at VR, people are saying that when they do it, the test says capable/just barely passes and DualGPU just doesn't work in VR... But My real question here is, (and this might seem silly) the +12V Rail is supposed to have 63A to support the HD7990 and the Rosewill ARC (trying to minimize brand names in build so I went with AMD, Rosewill, and Asus only) has 62.5A on +12v Rail @ 750w and was wondering if that 0.5 less Amps will really make a difference? Or will it be fine?

Solution
first i did some looking and couldnt find a specific amperage requirement for that gpu. [quickly anyway] what i did find was the testing done was with 1200w psu's. the 7990 draws 389-411 w tdp for just the card.

my educated guess [and others would agree] that you shouldnt 'guess' or say 'its close enough' or ask 'is it enough?' when it comes to gpu's.
another thing from 20 years of computer experience is psu's and their labels can say whatever they want. did you know there is no governing body watching psu makers to make sure they have "500" watts '600' watts or so much amps. my suggestion is give yourself alot of headdroom for the psu or youll have a very bad time.

ARICH5

Distinguished
first i did some looking and couldnt find a specific amperage requirement for that gpu. [quickly anyway] what i did find was the testing done was with 1200w psu's. the 7990 draws 389-411 w tdp for just the card.

my educated guess [and others would agree] that you shouldnt 'guess' or say 'its close enough' or ask 'is it enough?' when it comes to gpu's.
another thing from 20 years of computer experience is psu's and their labels can say whatever they want. did you know there is no governing body watching psu makers to make sure they have "500" watts '600' watts or so much amps. my suggestion is give yourself alot of headdroom for the psu or youll have a very bad time.

Solution

AnthonyMooreDevices

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
That seems way too much... Doesn't your PSU end up getting messed up for using way over what's needed? I know, I've seen the card take all the way up to 450w by itself, My CPU takes up to about 125w(even though it's rated at 95w), which leaves about 175w left for the rest. I just decided to get a Capstone 750w 80plus Gold which is rated at 90-92% so that's better, but I just want to know if 1 or 0.5 of an amp will give Me less performance or blow it up, I just keep seeing "63A" on random forums I've been reading about the card. Mostly in one's that ask if a 650w PSU is okay.