1000/100. Not getting 100 upload.

TroyAllan

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
Hey Everyone;

I have recently been connect with gigabyte internet. Here are my results:

bbcode image

The upload is no where near what I should be getting. I have contacted their support and they have confirmed everything is setup correctly and that it may be caused by my hardware. My specs are:
i7-6700k
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
16gb Ram
GTX1080
Win10

I do not have a router connected.

If you have any ideas please toss them into this thread.

Thanks a bunch
-Troy
Troubleshooting timeline in this thread:
MSI Gaming Lan Manager not istalled
Asus Suite not installed
Drivers updated
Modem capable of 100 up

Solution
That's your answer from my other comment, the server couldn't accept the packets as fast as you were sending them.

I would try a large upload to a site like Mega that has huge capacity to receive such files, I would attempt as large an upload as possible to Skydrive and Google drive as well and monitor throughput

Move on to real use cases in other words.

I only use speedtest from a browser to test connectivity to the local ISP.

TroyAllan

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015

To confirm I do not have the AI suite installed.

I have tried the driver you just linked but I'm not sure if it's properly installed or if the computer is using this new driver. I would assume I can check in device manger?

TroyAllan

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015

The modem from the company. Their tech support said it is able to handle 1000 upload. So my 100 upload should be no problem.

Mark RM

Admirable

yes, device manger, network adapters, right click on yours, properties, driver tab.

TroyAllan

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015

uploaded photos

Seems to be using a different driver than the one you linked me. This is where I become ignorant in my networking capability. How can I make sure i'm using the correct one?

Now here's something interesting that may or may not matter:
I am now using PPPOE to connect to the internet with my Gigabyte internet. Would that change things?

Mark RM

Admirable
The driver I linked doesn't contain functional changes for the network chip VS the one you have installed.

PPoE does have a history of slowing the hell out of things in some cases but I feel if this were actually the case here your down speeds would suffer too as it implements the same overhead both ways.

It could also be possible that what is receiving the speedtest data simply can't accept packets that fast.

My first test would be to pull an el cheapo gigabit nic out of the junk drawer and test with another device.

TroyAllan

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015

Just tried an old gaming pc of mine and it pulled a 550/45.

Now that 45 is about 10 higher than anything i've pulled on my current rig. Which leads me to believe it's something in this pc...

TroyAllan

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015

Here's something that will throw a monkey wrench into things...

I just tested with a different speed test:

facebook image uploader

Do you use a specific speed testing website I could try out?

Mark RM

Admirable
That's your answer from my other comment, the server couldn't accept the packets as fast as you were sending them.

I would try a large upload to a site like Mega that has huge capacity to receive such files, I would attempt as large an upload as possible to Skydrive and Google drive as well and monitor throughput

Move on to real use cases in other words.

I only use speedtest from a browser to test connectivity to the local ISP.

Solution

TroyAllan

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015

I appreciate your help through this. Just wanted to make sure I was receiving what I was paying for.
Happy holidays!