I5 4570 to E3 1230v3

Ivan Komitovw

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
As the title says,Im currently looking into a upgrade to that processor.Reading through forums i learned that the Xeon is 95% equal to the I7 4770 without IGP that is.So currently my cpu struggles to multi-task that well.Whenever i am in a cpu heavy game lets say gta 5 and i Alt+Tab to the desctop and open something it takes a significantly more tim to load.Under no load it instantly opens chrome but when i Alt+Tab from a cpu demanding game it takes like 5+ seconds.Will an upgrade to the Xeon fix that? Or maybe its a ram issue?I have 8 gb 1600hz ram.Thanks in advance
And also currently in the same game the(Gta 5) my cpu and gpu sit at 100% most of the time on a 1280x1024 monitor.Will my cpu be always on 100% if i upfrade the graphics cadr and my monitor?
I wantto get a 1060 6gb and a 1080p monitor and i dont want my cpu at 100% and gpu at 60%.

Solution
The 1230v3 is exactly the same as a 4770 with a lower clock speed and igpu disabled. They even use the same die. It does not have more cores and nothing on the 1150 socket has more than 4 cores. Xeon is but a name and does not make any difference in any case. The i5 doesn't have better core performance when they are both haswell and the 1230v3 is higher speed, which makes it have a higher performance in single plus multi since it has ht.

Running gta v on my 2500k, 8gb 1600 ram, 560ti, 1080p didn't have the issue. I'd go with the others and say it's a storage issue. I didn't put gta v on the ssd but with windows and chrome on it, it helps immensely. The e3 is a bit of a sidegrade since it pretty much just adds ht which isn't worth it...

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
So you want to upgrade to a server CPU to cut down on load times when running demanding applications? No is the answer to your question. Both CPU's are similar in most regards apart from core count. However a game such as GTA wont be taking full use of the extra cores resulting in little performance gains if any, not to mention core performance of the i5 is actually better compared to the "upgrade" CPU you are looking at. Not practical at all.

Ivan Komitovw

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
I have been thinking about it but it isnt in my priority list becayse i wanted a gpu and a monitor upgrade.Any answear on the gta 5 case.Will i have a cpu bottleneck with a 1060 6gb or a 1070 because it already runs at 100%

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

GTA 5 question was answered by myself and btmedic04. SSD will improve load times. E3 CPU will provide no benefit, GTX 1060 will only be bottleknecked by very CPU heavy games and of course the 1070 will be slightly hindered on performance from your current i5.

Suggest you buy a SSD sometimes soon, really cheap these days and so worth it.

The 1230v3 is exactly the same as a 4770 with a lower clock speed and igpu disabled. They even use the same die. It does not have more cores and nothing on the 1150 socket has more than 4 cores. Xeon is but a name and does not make any difference in any case. The i5 doesn't have better core performance when they are both haswell and the 1230v3 is higher speed, which makes it have a higher performance in single plus multi since it has ht.

Running gta v on my 2500k, 8gb 1600 ram, 560ti, 1080p didn't have the issue. I'd go with the others and say it's a storage issue. I didn't put gta v on the ssd but with windows and chrome on it, it helps immensely. The e3 is a bit of a sidegrade since it pretty much just adds ht which isn't worth it. It maybe a better value than an i7 depending on the price you can find it but if you want the most out of the mobo and biggest upgrade, you may want to look at a 4790k even if you can't oc because of it's higher stock clocks. Depeding on prices, it maybe better to just save and upgrade platform.

A 1060 would be good with your cpu but that maybe the highest I'd go. The cpu will be less of an issue when you upgrade to a higher res.

Solution