rx 470 vs gtx 1060 3gb READ DESCRIPTON!!!

Pcstarter

Reputable
May 3, 2017
so long story
i have to choose betyween msi rx 470 4gb and gigabyte gtx 1060 3gb windwofrce
let me explain
i have an 75 hz freesync mnitor
with msi rx 470 i would get A LOT better cooling (6 heatpipes vs 1 plus better components)
and the msi one costs only 30 usd more where i live
but also these two cards have an about 10 fps perfomance difference (gtx 1060 3gb better i think)
my rig
i5 4690s
8gb of ddr3 ram
600w 80+ siver evga psu
msi lga 1150 h81m-p33

Solution
I see your issue... or at least one of my own with your situation.

you have a freesync monitor, which begs for an AMD card to take advantage of it. (NVidia can't/won't)

The AMD card is weaker overall, but has more vRAM. AMD also suffers a price markup due to etherium mining,

The NVidia card while a gimped version of the 6GB model (10% less performance in GPU alone vs 6GB model) has less RAM, and with certain games that can be a very serious bottleneck, is typically faster than the AMD card.

As long as your games don't push too hard at the RAM size limitation, The GTX-1060 3GB card is the better choice (I hate to admit it, despite its naming issues)

Personally though, I'd see about a RX-570 or RX-580, if the prices weren't so...

manddy123

Admirable
The RX 580 tradle blows with the 1060, the 470 is just slower. I wouldn't pay more for something that would give me less performance...

But as you mentioned, you got a FreeSync monitor... Which makes me wonder why you don't try to grab a 480 or 580 4/8GB?

Nevertheless, the 1060 is better. My vote goes for it, cooling has little to no difference if you're not going to overclock them IMHO and it's also cheaper...

I see your issue... or at least one of my own with your situation.

you have a freesync monitor, which begs for an AMD card to take advantage of it. (NVidia can't/won't)

The AMD card is weaker overall, but has more vRAM. AMD also suffers a price markup due to etherium mining,

The NVidia card while a gimped version of the 6GB model (10% less performance in GPU alone vs 6GB model) has less RAM, and with certain games that can be a very serious bottleneck, is typically faster than the AMD card.

As long as your games don't push too hard at the RAM size limitation, The GTX-1060 3GB card is the better choice (I hate to admit it, despite its naming issues)

Personally though, I'd see about a RX-570 or RX-580, if the prices weren't so messed up. Or, I'd try for the 1060 6GB model. However, they might not be an option due to budget, which I can understand.

Solution

Sheesh! Yeah, even a GT-1030 should display an 8k image without issue. The 1060 3GB chokes on certain games so badly that the 4GB 1050Ti can outperform it, all because of the 3GB limitation... the 10% less performance than the full GP106 GPU in the 1060 6GB doesn't matter in that case. I would imagine in that scenario, the RX-470 would surge ahead too, due to also having a minimum of 4GB of RAM.