1080 ti Not connecting/registering to my computer.

domejandro

Honorable
Dec 28, 2017
Over the holiday season, I was fortunate enough to upgrade my GPU from an Nvidia 750 to an EVGA 1080ti (two fan).

Unfortunately, when I have installed it, the card will not register with the computer (my computer is currently running off of the Intel chip).

Though the graphics card is lit-up, the fans have not moved, except for a very brief period in which they spun, one stopped spinning, and then the second stopped spinning. The DVI port does not register at all with my monitor.

My system is....

EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 ti
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz,
ASRock H81M-HDS Motherboard
750watt GQ Power Supply (EVGA)
View Sonic 24" monitor

I have fully updated my BIOS (this problem has persisted before and after the update), have fully wiped my Nvidia drivers with DDU, and have replugged everything back in. The computer works because of the Intel 4600 chip and an HDMI hookup to my monitor.

Whenever I try to download the Nvidia drivers, or the Geforce experience, they both say my system is not compatible.

Does anybody know what the problem may be? I appreciate any help.

Solution

If multi-monitor is disabled and discrete gpu is present in the system, you wouldn't have any video output on integrated gpu.
Either your graphics card is not fully inserted into PCIE slot or is dead.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
can you go to your BIOS and check if your PCIE/PEG config sees your GPU?

also recheck if your PCIE power cables are properly attached. you need 2 separate cables.
also try reseating your GPU, or cleaning your PCIE from dust. make sure you push it in really tight and the clip on the other end of the PCIE slot is properly clipped in.

WhiteJP

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
From what I know of that particular motherboard, it only supports pcie 2.0 (which might be an issue, but, doubtful), and, it only has 1 4 port plug for the video card (located behind where the keyboard / mouse port).

Check is you actually put the plug in (something I am guilty of overlooking 3 times out of my last 5 builds)

Since your card is lit-up, we know it's pulling power, and if the plug (see above) is in, is it detected in bios?

Hopefully this might narrow down the problem.

domejandro

Honorable
Dec 28, 2017

I apologize for the inefficiency, I am not an expert at this, haha.

In any case, I reconnected the PCIE slots and put my GPU back in, but am still not connecting. I am in my motherboard advanced menu, but am not sure how to find that information. Should I change my Primary Graphics Adapter from PCI Express to onboard?

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
you can visit your motherboards support site to help you make things clearer about your machine. also to make sure your BIOS and drivers are up to date. updates will usually solve most problems on your hardware later in the future.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-HDS/#Support

try going to your H/W monitor menu in your BIOS. find anything GPU/PCIE related there and see if your GPU is detected. try also disabling your "igpu multimonitor" in the advanced menu.

domejandro

Honorable
Dec 28, 2017

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING ; New off of Amazon.

I checked just to make sure, but I definitely have it all plugged in correctly.

For what it is worth, I have made sure to update my BIOS and my drivers completely by going to that support section of the site.

I went to that tab (after scouring the "Advanced" tab), and am just not seeing anything related to GPU that is distinctive.

EDIT: I forgot to state that multi monitor was disabled by default.

WhiteJP

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Ok, I'm an idiot, the plug on the MOBO is the psu to mobo plug (in addition to the 20+ socket plug), I blame the rum / vodka and cola. Anyway, short of plugging the video card into another computer, we can not verify if it's a dud. However, unless you already got rid of it, you can go back to your 750. If you have a local friend with an atx mobo (not a mini like yours), you can test the card in their computer to see if it's a dud (or, if you have more than 1 computer ... which I'm guilty of, I've got 4). Again, my apologies on the 4 pin plug on the mobo comment, I was thinking something else.

Just to verify, are you plugging all of the connectors on the top of the video card?

https://images.evga.com/articles/01092/header/SC2-EN.png

you can see the connectors there at the end of the video card, but, without knowing your exact card, it's either (1x8 / 1x6) or (2x6) pins

And I'm still tipsy, so, if my reply did not make sense, don't hesitate to ask for clarification

domejandro

Honorable
Dec 28, 2017

I have indeed plugged in the 1x8 and 1x6, so it definitely is not that. I might just bring it in to the local shop and see if they can figure it out at this point. I might be completely overlooking something brutally obvious, or maybe it is just a dud.

If multi-monitor is disabled and discrete gpu is present in the system, you wouldn't have any video output on integrated gpu.
Either your graphics card is not fully inserted into PCIE slot or is dead.

Solution

domejandro

Honorable
Dec 28, 2017

Just so people are aware for future reference, it seems that the Graphics Card was just a complete dud. I tried getting a better AVR (mine was criminally under-powered), but the card's consistent start-up spinning on one fan before teetering out even after the AVR was upgraded indicates that I was one of the unlucky ones. Once my reshipped version arrives, I'll be able to guarantee whether it was a dud, but given that my 750 runs well, I am quite comfortable at this point that was the problem.

Thanks for everybody who helped give suggestions!