i5 8400: Retail vs OEM

Acegoku12

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
Hey guys im buying my CPU right now and im just curious if i should wait for the retail cpu or get the OEM pack, I already bought a CPU Cooler, the Hyper212 LED (might not be the best but its still great and better than the stock HSF) so should the OEM do fine?

Tawda

Commendable
May 15, 2016

Yes but also you may have to go through a third party to get the warranty.

That's complete BS and has no basis in reality. OEM processors are sold by the manufacturer just the same as retail versions that come complete with coolers are. Warranty will be exactly the same as for retail so long as a cooler with sufficient capacity is installed.

There is LITERALLY no difference except that one comes with a fan and thermal material and one does not.

Tawda

Commendable
May 15, 2016

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i7-8700-oem-cpu-without-heatsink-fan?gclid=Cj0KCQiAsqLSBRCmARIsAL4Pa9TXl0h4X7llbeTtztaF8re9Ochbwm88wc1h6lH1rCLKPqbuSeb5In4aAg-BEALw_wcB&v=b

Tawda

Commendable
May 15, 2016
I stated that to claim warranty for OEM processors you ""'"(MAY)'""" have to go through a third party, You then stated that, it wasn't a reality and I didn't know what I was talking about. I thought it was a little rude but never mind it's a forum, I then gave a link showing an OEM processor for sale through a third party warranty, you then told me to get a grip even though my original statement was correct and, you failed to actually read the link.

I thought the idea of a forum was to advise people who need help not wrongly insult people only trying to help.

Tawda

Commendable
May 15, 2016

Thanks that was the point I was trying to make but, I don't know what I'm on about so why try

Tawda

Commendable
May 15, 2016

aw well, sorry

jr9

Estimable
If you already bought a cooler you could also get a K version of the i5 so you can overclock a bit, you know get more out of your Hyper 212. That cooler is OK for mild overclocks. Otherwise I'd just get the retail CPU unless it's significantly cheaper and just store the cooler away somewhere. It's not like the retail version is slower or anything :) The Hyper 212 is better anyway it's cooler and MUCH quieter if you get a CPu with Turboboost. I replace a lot of Intel stock coolers from owners that don't like how loud they get under load and the Hyper 212 is my cheap go-to.