100% cpu usage in games

ebutts

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
In games my cpu usage reaches 100%, GPU usage stays around 50%.On idle with firefox open my cpu is at less than 10%. I have some other things running only taking up about 2% of cpu. I wiped my hard drive to see if it would do anything but no,so i downloaded minecraft and out of 83% of cpu usage it takes up about 74%. This problem started randomly,1 day it works fine,the next it doesnt. I tried overwatch before i wiped my drive and had the same problem. It also seems to be capping my fps to 60. I am using a i5 7600k,gtx 1060 6gb,600w power,asus maximus ix code,1 tb firecuda, and some hp ram which will be replaced soon with corsair vengeance.My fps will randomly drop below 20's and it will freeze then go back up to 60.I used to get hundreds of fps in minecraft. I have no idea why this is happening and cant find a solution please help
EDIT:forgot to say my gpu speed drops ALOT i usually get 2000 but sometimes it goes to about 1000

Solution
so this is weird,it would appear that vsync was capping it but i had not turned vsync on. My fps still isnt as high as it usually is but its still a higher

Jesse_20

Distinguished
I just solved a similar problem on a windows 7 machine. For some reason, the max power setting for the cpu was reset to 5% from the default 100%. Setting this back fixed the problem immediately.
This setting can be found in the control panel->System->Power Options->Edit Power Plan->Change Advanced Power Settings
Scroll down to Processor Power Management and expand it to show the min and max settings and make sure they are correct. (5% Min, 100% Max)

ebutts

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
I checked that and the min was at 5% and max was at 100% already. By the way i am using windows 10
My plan is balanced, is that what yours was using?or high performance

Jesse_20

Distinguished
Did you re-install the motherboard drivers after the wipe?
You could also try a more robust monitoring tool like HWMonitor. The free version shows the speed of each core of the cpu, as well as temps for each. The same for the GPU. It also shows min/max values over a period of time, so you can see if you have throttling for any reason. If you saved User data and transferred it back after the wipe, scan the computer for viruses. Also make sure the power performance plan is not set to Power saver (forget to mention this first time around). It might also be possible that the slowdowns occur during windows updates, but this would show in the task manager which you seem to have scoured already.
You can also try going into the startup tab of task manager and disabling any unnecessary services and retry the test. This might narrow down a culprit.

ebutts

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
i downloaded the HWMonitor, each core's speed is exactly the same,utilization of each core is not same it keeps going up and down, i looks like the problem might be the utilization because half of the cores % will be high,then the rest are very low.

I did not download motherboard drivers
i did not save user data, and am not using the power saver plan
EDIT:so when i minimize the game the fps of the game goes up very high to normal,when i click back into the game i can see the fps is very high like normal but after a second it drops back down to below 60fps

Jesse_20

Distinguished
Make sure to install the motherboard drivers. They provide advanced features of your motherboard and might be an issue.
Open device manager and look for yellow exclamations. Those devices lack drivers and prohibit proper operation of those systems.

ebutts

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
i just opened a game and saw i had 60 fps and my gpu was running at around 800mhz, i would move to different areas where the fps will go down, the gpu speed will go up,and ill have 60 fps. So it seems like its trying to use the least power possible to achieve 60 fps which i dont know why as it started out of no where after doing nothing

ebutts

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
so this is weird,it would appear that vsync was capping it but i had not turned vsync on. My fps still isnt as high as it usually is but its still a higher

Solution