i3 8100 And GTX 1070?

artaza.ignacio

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
Hi everyone. This is my first question here. First of all, sorry about my english.
Second: Thanks in advance.
As the title sugests, i wanna know if a gtx 1070 will bottleneck a lot with a I3 8100, becouse im planning on building a medium/low cost PC and I was thinking I5 7500+GTX 1070, but then... i saw I3 performance and cost and well... i was tempted.
Im not planning to play beyond 1080p with a 60hz monitor. I KNOW GTX 1060 6gb would be enough, but thinking int terms of future, having a 1070 would be better for next gen games, and the $$ between 1060 6gb and 1070 is $100...
So, i ask for your help. I was planning this set up:

Corsair 400C
Mother Msi Z370 Pc Pro
Sentey MBP 750W Modular
I3 8100
Evga Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1060 6gb Sc Gaming OR GTX 1070
Crcuial Ballstix 2*8gb 2400mhz
Samsung EVO 128gb
WD 1 TB 7200

TY!!!

Solution
Bottlenecks are everywhere, theres always a piece of hardware "bottlenecking" something in your PC. An i3-8100 will work perfectly fine with a GTX 1070. Can an i7 get better FPS with a 1070? Yes, but does it matter? No. You will not have any noticeable performance issues. The 8100 is a very capable chip.

HOWEVER

If I were you I would take the money youre gonna spend on the 1070 and buy a better PSU than that Sentey garbage. Can you get Corsair or Seasonic where you are?

artaza.ignacio

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
There are three good thing to add: In my country, 500W and 750W cost the same, thats why the excesive W.
The technology we can get is limited and cost 50% extra compared with amazon prices.
:(

jr9

Estimable
Really don't recommend an i3 in a gaming PC ever. You'll eventually regret it I've seen it many times.

You will see slight bottle-necking in CPU intensive stuff. The big issue is that you won't have the threads to handle AAA titles down the road. Even 4 core 4 threads processors are starting to fall behind the curve.

Really recommend a Coffee Lake 8th gen i5 or i7 if you can afford it. If you can't then you can do a Ryzen 5 build alternatively.

You also don't want to go for 7th gen i5 either you are just locking yourself into a depreciated platform.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Bottlenecks are everywhere, theres always a piece of hardware "bottlenecking" something in your PC. An i3-8100 will work perfectly fine with a GTX 1070. Can an i7 get better FPS with a 1070? Yes, but does it matter? No. You will not have any noticeable performance issues. The 8100 is a very capable chip.

HOWEVER

If I were you I would take the money youre gonna spend on the 1070 and buy a better PSU than that Sentey garbage. Can you get Corsair or Seasonic where you are?

No, they aren't. There isn't a single game out today that will have performance dragging issues on an i3-8100, heck even an i3-7100. Sure you want to throw a benchmark at it, SOME games will bench higher on an i5 or i7, some will not at all. A game like Wolfenstein II which has low overall CPU usage will run nearly identically.

Solution

artaza.ignacio

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
Ty, totally true what you say. I was worried that could ve a BIG bottleneck issue, but now un More relaxed.
Yes, i can get a Seasonic but it costs 4 times the price of the senteys PSU here. Sentey modular 750w Bronze: 100USD
Seasonic 650W Silver: 350usd.
Also Senteys comes with 3 years waranty, in that Time i could buy 2 Senteys to replace the first Obe in case of failure and still would ve cheaper.
Do you still believe Is worth the difference?

Tyvm again!

jr9

Estimable

Definite disagree. 4cores 4theads on a gaming machine is a mistake in the long run. When you are upgrading you should be looking farther ahead that just today. Games are going to start using threads more and more in the future. I'm not saying it would be as bad as an FX6300 with a 1070 level bottleneck but in 2018 (nearly) doing even a CofeeLake 4Q 4T i3 full build seems off for me. If you are just playing esports titles it's one thing but I build computers as my job and if you are doing a custom full build it should be able to handle games today and games down the road. It isn't a bad build just short-sighted.

I think it will be awhile yet before the true 4 core/4 Thread CPU's really start taking a hit gaming wise, at least on the Intel side. Nothing really wrong with an i3 8100 paired with a GTX 1070.

There is always the option to upgrade down the road, both CPU and GPU if more performance is needed. That system has a good upgrade path along with the next release of Intel CPU's whenever that will actually be.

Nobody really knows what the games are going to be like later in 2018 and beyond yet.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Sentey PSUs are hot garbage. Maybe Seasonic is too expensive but there has to be something else. Can you link me to a store that you would buy from? Its not the PSU failing as much as it damaging your equipment on the way out that you want to worry about.

And I disagree with your assessment. Multicore cpus have been around for a long time, few of todays games scale across all cores, and even the ones that do don't show massive improvements over ones that are fewer cores. The truth is gaming loads are fairly focused which is why gaming benchmarks always show processors with the fastest cores getting the best scores, because usually only a couple of cores are taking the majority of the load.

I've been building computers for 30 years so trust me I know all about looking towards the future. The way processors are going these days with the slowing of Moores law, his GPU will be obsolete before his CPU is causing massive game bottlenecks.

Exactly, the reason why I went with the i7 7700K and didn't wait for Coffee Lake and it paid off as there really isn't much difference in gaming between the I7 7700K and i7 8700K, not enough for me to notice anyway with my setup. My insight was telling me it wouldn't be enough to worry about.

I plan on using it for awhile before upgrading to the next platform down the road whatever that might be.

Been building computers for a very long time too, over 25 years.