Can my 1050 tip graphics card support gaming on a 2k monitor.

Solution
It isn't like it won't work, but the 1050Ti isn't a very powerful card. So for older games you could probably get away with 2560x1440, but for newer games you will have to run lower settings or settle on a lower resolution with higher settings.

Minimum you want for 60 FPS gaming at 2K is a GTX1070 or Vega 56. I make a strong recommendation for a GTX1070Ti though since it isn't much more expensive and gains you a significant amount of GPU performance.

That said, many off the shelf computers don't have an adequate power supply, and sometimes space, for larger GPUs.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It isn't like it won't work, but the 1050Ti isn't a very powerful card. So for older games you could probably get away with 2560x1440, but for newer games you will have to run lower settings or settle on a lower resolution with higher settings.

Minimum you want for 60 FPS gaming at 2K is a GTX1070 or Vega 56. I make a strong recommendation for a GTX1070Ti though since it isn't much more expensive and gains you a significant amount of GPU performance.

That said, many off the shelf computers don't have an adequate power supply, and sometimes space, for larger GPUs.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
That appears to be a shorthand for what is really the "2.5K" resolutions - that includes 2560x1440 and 2560x1080.

But, you're right, and I have the same wish you do. It's a vague, almost useless term. Questions such as these should state the specific resolution desired.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pixel wise 2560x1440 is just under half of 3840x2160 so I think it makes some sense for shorthand purposes.

Really the actual names are more precise. HD, FHD, QHD, UHD, WQHD, and so on.

Though in the this case, 2560x1080 would still be a little much for a 1050Ti, would probably recommend a GTX1060 or RX580 for that.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Agreed with the latter, and I used to do that with the former, but found out later that it was actually supposed to be based more or less on horizontal resolution.

But then you get some weird things like
2560x1440 is 2.5k, but 2580x1080 is 2.5k ultra-wide. Etc.

I was shocked the first time I found that 3840x1600 was considered 4k ultrawide, despite less pixels than 4k.