Do you think my GT 1030 with only 2 HDMI will work on my monitor with only VGA in it?

vinoarenas78

Reputable
Oct 24, 2017
My graphics card is GT 1030 which only has 2 HDMI. I don’t know if it will work with my monitor using HDMI to VGA. Because I’ve tried using my HDMI to VGA with GT 710 which has DVI VGA and HDMI and it didn’t work. So I’m worried if GT 1030 will work using HDMI to VGA

Solution
Since D-Sub VGA port can only carry an analogue signal, and HDMI is digital, you need an active adapter which converts the digital output to analogue input for your monitor - - - your existing adapter is most likely not an active one which is why it doesn't work since it doesn't do any signal conversion.

DVI-D also needs an active adapter since it's digital output only.

DVI-I doesn't need an active adapter since it can output both analogue and digital, so a non-active adapter is sufficient.

However, I do not know whether the GT 1030 is DVI-D or DVD-I - - so I can't help you there. If I had to guess I'd say it was DVI-I, but specs sheet on Geforce website doesn't specify which.
Since D-Sub VGA port can only carry an analogue signal, and HDMI is digital, you need an active adapter which converts the digital output to analogue input for your monitor - - - your existing adapter is most likely not an active one which is why it doesn't work since it doesn't do any signal conversion.

DVI-D also needs an active adapter since it's digital output only.

DVI-I doesn't need an active adapter since it can output both analogue and digital, so a non-active adapter is sufficient.

However, I do not know whether the GT 1030 is DVI-D or DVD-I - - so I can't help you there. If I had to guess I'd say it was DVI-I, but specs sheet on Geforce website doesn't specify which.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Why would a passive HDMI to VGA adaptor even exist? There's no situation in which that would work. I'm guessing the adaptor he got is either faulty or just really crappy.