960 EVO Troubles

theshaebaker

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017
So I just Installed a 960 Evo and I feel like I am not getting the correct speeds.. It states that currently. "Under the current system environment, some function in Magician CANNOT be run. To enable these Magician function and ensure optimal performance it is recommended to: Visit website below and update drive to the latest version" When trying to install RST I get errors stating that the platform is not supported. PC specs below.
MSI 79-G7[MS-7916]
I7-4790K
GTX 1080 STRIX OC
16 GB of ram
Samsung 850 EVO SSD-MAIN DRIVE
WD BLACK 1TB-Secondary
Samsung 960 EVO NVME-M.2 (Just installed)
All drivers are updated I am so confused as the Magician software claims its only reading and writing at, 836r 815w, While my 850 is 540r and 518w.

Solution
The speed you are getting is about correct. Your motherboard uses a slightly older Z97 Chipset and the M.2 slot is not the newest and fastest PCIe Gen3 x4 [32Gb/s], its the older and slower PCIe Gen2 x2 [10Gb/s].

* M.2 port supports M.2 PCIe module up to 10Gb/s speed [PCIe Gen2 x2]
Motherboard specifications:
M.2 port supports M.2 PCIe module up to 10Gb/s speed

While the drive is capable of 32Gb/s speed read and write performance, that is found on newer model motherboards and not on yours. You may want to use a PCIe 2.0 x4 M.2 adapter to increase speeds up to 20Gb/s.

Rapid Storage Technology can be used when SATA configuration is in RAID mode and not in AHCI mode.

The speed you are getting is about correct. Your motherboard uses a slightly older Z97 Chipset and the M.2 slot is not the newest and fastest PCIe Gen3 x4 [32Gb/s], its the older and slower PCIe Gen2 x2 [10Gb/s].

* M.2 port supports M.2 PCIe module up to 10Gb/s speed [PCIe Gen2 x2]

Solution