Will Z97 motherboard going to get BIOS update for the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerability?

There is no BIOS microcode update that will fix the Meltdown and/or Spectre vulnerabilities.

Microsoft has already released an out of band update on January 4, 2018 to fix the Meltdown vulnerability.

So far no Spectre vulnerability fix is available yet.

It depends solely on board manufacturer, when/if BIOS update is released, so you should ask Asus directly. Note that you need BIOS update, Intel ME driver update and Windows update all installed to get best available protection from Meltdown. Many new boards already got those BIOS and IME updates.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

I already installed the Jan 3 Windows Update, it just the BIOS that I need it right now. As for Intel ME driver, you meant the Intel Intel-SA-00086 vulnerability?

The info for the driver does not specify anything besides "Update Intel ME for security vulnerabilities".

That's the fix for the Intel's Active Management Technology (AMT) security flaw. It doesn't have anything to do with the Meltdown or Spectre vulnerabilities.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

I read the news, and they all say a BIOS update and Microsoft Jan 3 update is all you need to solve these two vulnerability.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

Unfortunately, Intel denied that and stated the firmware update will immune to both.

corndog1836

Distinguished