why does the i5 8400 mostly beat out Ryzen 5 1600 in most current games?

Preds

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
Hello, I recently was comparing the the above mentioned CPU's and their benchmarks for modern titles; and was wondering why the 8400 with 6 cores, 6 threads, beats out the Ryzen (mostly) with 6 cores, 12 threads in gaming? Shouldn't Ryzen do better with higher thread count, since titles are using more cores, these days? Or is it still based on single core performance, for the most part? Thanks for your time

Solution
Assuming the procs already have same/more than the necessary minimum numbers of cores/threads, majority of games still prefer faster cores/threads than having more cores/threads.
For 60fps gaming, the difference is not big but if you aim for e.g. 144fps gaming, the difference is quite noticeable.
Assuming maximum clock speeds with very good cooling, MCE enabled/on to allow 'opportunistic sustained of 4-6 cores at clocks well above normal TDP specs', etc., I'd guess that as is typical, 6 Intel cores at 4.0 GHz will outframe 6c/12t at 3.9 GHz on Ryzen given 95% of most gaming titles. (In all fairness, the difference would likely only be noticed at 1080P gaming, and, likely then with 100 Hz or greater refresh-capable monitors.)

Preds

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Hi there, thank you very much for your response. First of all, MCE, how do you enable it; in the BIOS? It sounds amazing! Does it keep the cores at 4.0GHz all the time? Also what about the 12 threads; doesn't it give an advantage for multi-core games, compared to only 6 threads?

Assuming the procs already have same/more than the necessary minimum numbers of cores/threads, majority of games still prefer faster cores/threads than having more cores/threads.
For 60fps gaming, the difference is not big but if you aim for e.g. 144fps gaming, the difference is quite noticeable.

Solution

Preds

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Hi guanyu, I see, yea that does makes sense, haha. Thanks for clarifying :)