What 240 or 280mm AIO would you recommend

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
I have an i7-7700k I'm running at 4.8ghz and will try to get to 5ghz.
Regardless if I get there or not, I like having a high quality cooler.
Currently I'm running a Corsair H90 with a Noctua NF-A14 in a push/intake, top mount configuration.
A little RGB would be nice.
Currently I peak in the low 80's C when gaming. I peg it at 100 C in Prime 95 Small FFTs

Which AIO would you recommend?

Solution
There's the cause of your 100°C. This has been a known problem since Core i 4th Generation processors.

Do not use any version of Prime95 later than 26.6.

Prime95 v26.6 is a 100% workload.

Later version are nearly 130% workload.

2nd through 8th Generation i3, i5 and i7 CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) Instruction Sets. Prime95 versions later than 26.6 run AVX code on the CPU's Floating Point Unit (FPU) which causes unrealistic temperatures up to 20°C higher. Certain other utilities may have similar results.

AVX can be disabled in Prime95 versions later than 26.6 by inserting "CpuSupportsAVX=0" into the "local.txt" file in Prime95's folder. However, since Core...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
ibjeepr,

As you're no doubt aware, 120mm AIO's are inadequate for cooling and overclocked 7700K. Check out Tom's Best Closed-Loop Liquid CPU Coolers - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181-2.html

Among the 240mm AIO's is the often overlooked Corsair H105. It has a 38mm thick rad, cools better than the H100's, doesn't use CorsairLink, and has the highest customer ratings of any AIO's on Newegg, 240mm or otherwise.

Regardless, the most effective method, by far, of reducing Core temperatures is delidding. My personal rig runs the H105 on a delidded 7700K overclocked at 5.0GHz. Mouseover my avatar for details.

If you're uncomfortable with performing a manual delid, you can safely delid by ordering a delidding tool, or send your 7700K to Silicon Lottery where they'll professionally delid it for you. They can also "bin" your CPU so you'll know it's maximum stable GHz and Vcore settings.

• Rockit 88 Delidding Tool - https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/

• Silicon Lottery - https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/delid

Q: What is your ambient (room) temperature?

Here's the scale:

Q: What is your Core voltage (Vcore) during Prime95?

Q: Which version of Prime95? It matters.

CT :sol:

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Hi Computronix,
I am aware a 120mm AIO is insufficient but then again, my 140mm seems to be getting it done for the most part.
I did check out Tom's list but upon reviewing them wasn't convinced any of them were the best choice or at least on which one was.
The Corsair H105 seems to be another solid recommendation, thank you.
I already have an account created with Siliconlottery and have a box addressed to them. I do plan to send my CPU to them at some point.
I'm not positive on room temp but it's a small room on the second floor so I'm going to estimate in the upper 70's F. It certainly increases with CPU temp and duration though so I can't say for sure what room temp is at peak.
Prime95 v 29.4 build 5
I'm using the MSI Carbon's auto 4.8 OC feature which has it running at 1.304v according to CPU-z

CompuTronix

Intel Master
There's the cause of your 100°C. This has been a known problem since Core i 4th Generation processors.

Do not use any version of Prime95 later than 26.6.

Prime95 v26.6 is a 100% workload.

Later version are nearly 130% workload.

2nd through 8th Generation i3, i5 and i7 CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) Instruction Sets. Prime95 versions later than 26.6 run AVX code on the CPU's Floating Point Unit (FPU) which causes unrealistic temperatures up to 20°C higher. Certain other utilities may have similar results.

AVX can be disabled in Prime95 versions later than 26.6 by inserting "CpuSupportsAVX=0" into the "local.txt" file in Prime95's folder. However, since Core temperatures will be the same as 26.6, it's easier to just use 26.6. AVX doesn't affect Core i 1st Generation, Core 2, Pentium or Celeron processors since they don't have AVX Instruction Sets.

• Prime95 v26.6 - http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=15504

If you run AVX apps such as for rendering or transcoding, use the offset adjustment in BIOS. An offset of -2 or -3 (200 or 300 MHz) is usually sufficient to keep Core temperatures from skyrocketing.

Asus RealBench runs a realistic AVX workload typically within +/- a few % of TDP, and is an excellent utility for testing overall system stability, whether you're overclocked or not. RealBench is also the utility that Silicon Lottery uses for testing CPU stability.

• Asus RealBench - http://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

I would recommend delidding first. You might be pleasantly surprised to find that your H90 performs OK on a delidded 7700K overclocked with reasonable Vcore. It's always best to overclock manually in BIOS rather than relying upon Auto O/C features, which typically won't set the lowest stable Vcore. Excessive Vcore is heat. You can achieve better results and lower Core temperatures by manually overclocking.

Solution

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Excellent, thank you kindly for the info!

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Hi Computronix,
Just wanted to let you know that switching to Prime95 26.6 brought my Max temp down to 94 C. Thank you.

Also, I tried using RealBench but it didn't seem to work for me. I got a low score of only 115k and it wouldn't push my CPU past 4.4 Mhz despite running a 4.8 OC. During Pirme95 Real Temp showed a proper 4.8 or near but while Real Bench was running it never went over 4.4.
Any thoughts on that?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
(1) If you look at the scale in my 1st post, you can see that 94°C is still too hot. Since you're using Auto overclock, Vcore is too high. Auto overclock is never recommended as it will set Core voltage higher than necessary for stability. Higher Vcore produces higher Core temperatures. The best method is always to manually overclock so you can find the minimum Vcore required for stability on your particular 7700K sample. There are several good overclocking Guides available. Just Google them up and study the methods, so you can learn how to overclock correctly.

(2) As I pointed out in my previous post, RealBench runs a realistic AVX workload. If AVX Offset (in BIOS) is set to "Auto" or is manually set at -4, that would account for the downclock from 4.8GHz to 4.4 during RealBench, which means that AVX Offset is working correctly. If you want to try running RealBench at 4.8, then you need to manually set AVX Offset to "zero". However, AVX will increase Core temperatures, so watch it closely.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Thanks again. Once I send my chip in to Silicone Lottery I'll be switch to manual overclocking.and I'll change the AVX then.
I thought the scale was to indicate what temp I should be keeping the ambiant room tempurature at. I agree 94 C is too close to TJMax but that's why I started out asking about a 280mm AIO. If your graph is saying a 30 C CPU temp is HOT that doesn't make sense; 60 C under load would be great..

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Sorry ... wrong scale.

Here's the operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C aren't recommended.

Core temperatures increase and decrease with Ambient temperature.

Idle temperatures below 25°C are generally due to Ambient temperatures below 22°C.

If you'd like to get yourself up to speed on this topic, then give this a read: Intel Temperature Guide http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html