over 2000 reallocated sectors

pyryman123

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
so today i moved my ST500L-T012 from ym 3 year old laptop to my pc and tested it with hdtune and it gives me warning that i got 2336 reallocated sectors. is this hdd dying? i got this for backup

You can try chkdsk /f/r to fix and remap more bad sectors. But you should replace that HD. It is dying.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
Wow. So many questions. Was this the boot drive in your old computer? Was it giving you problems in the old computer? What problems, exactly? Yo might want to backup all your data from that laptop HDD and do a clean install of (Win10) your OS. I've seen that solve many a problem.

pyryman123

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
Yes this was the boot drive on the laptop. the laptop was cheap and slow itself but this made it impossible to use, im just going to throw this hdd away because i remowed it from my laptop for a backup drive

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
umm...why don't you wipe it and do a clean install before doing something as drastic as tossing it. If nothing else, you can sell the puppy on eBay (after you wipe it and find it to be in usable condition).

Don't be unethical like mazboy is suggesting. 1000's of disk-errors don't show up and then go away. Sometimes you can mask them for a while. But selling a low-end HD with known issues for a few pennies is just not a stand-up move as there is little to no doubt the HD is bad.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
umm...yeah, no...disk errors do show up and then go away. I have wiped disks before, and then run test software (starting with chkdsk and going from there. In particular, I use AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro for surface analysis) that show the HDD is healthy. A repartition, reformat and clean install of the OS result in a usable drive. I've done this, myself, on multiple "bad" HDDs that have gone on to live long, healthy lives.