What does 150 watt TDP at cryorig h7 air cooler mean ?

bariqin

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
im sorry for asking silly question
but i really confused

cryorig h7 cooler, it says on box 150 watt TDP
what does it really mean ?

is it need 150 watt to run only the cooler ?
or it suitable for cpu that have 150 watt TDP ?

thanks

Solution
I5 = 65w
Gtx1050 ti = 75w
8Gb ram =10w
Hdd = 15w
Mobo = 50w
Fans = 10w

Grand total = @225w and that's if everything in the pc was running at 100%, which is almost impossible to do. Basically as hard as you could possibly push that pc, you'd still have a hard time getting over 200w usage. Your 450w psu is more than good, it'd still be ok if it was 350w instead.

150w TDP cpu cooler is perfectly acceptable for a 65w cpu. The m9i is 120w TDP and perfectly acceptable for that cpu.

Imagine a 60w light bulb. Puts out a certain amount of light but also gets pretty hot. A 100w light bulb puts out more light, but gets much hotter. What a cpu cooler does is cool the light bulb. You'd need a 100w+ tdp cooler for the 60w light bulb, but a 150w+...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Correct.

They are claiming the H7 is good for all but the highest end CPUs effectively.

This does not include overclocking. The TDPs given for CPUs is if you run them at stock settings. Quite easy to have even a consumer grade go over 150W when overclocked.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Example of aboves statement.
I used a online caulactor with a stock i5 7600K 91 watt processor at stock 3.8 speed and 1.2 volts then increased the speed to 4.9 using 1.36 volts this increased the total power draw by 56 watts.

How many watts it can cool can change also depending on the temperature in the room. If you lived in a hot climate with little or no AC in the house it would cool less watts effectively.

same with the 6600k, I think this is why they have heat issues, people are using 100-130W coolers, and that's barely enough and not enough to allow turboing very well, hence it overheats.

bariqin

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
i have

i5 7400
gtx 1050ti
ddr4 ram dual channel 2x4 gb
1 hdd
i use 450 watt psu, from FSP group

should i change the PSU if i change the hsf with cryorig?
because im on budget

You shouldn't have to get a stronger PSU. The 150 watts of TDP is how many watts of heat the cooler can dissipate, not how many watts of power to make it work.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
TDP is wattage at use of realistic applications. Peak power is the limit of the cpu is is generally about 1.5x TDP. So a 91w TDP cpu will peak at @135w. By realistic applications, this means normal pc apps used by consumers, such as average games or office use, Photoshop etc. That does not include extreme applications such as rendering or encoding or high AVX usage programs such as stress testing.

So at 91w stock values, you'll need a cpu cooler capable of @140w+ to cover all bases, as the real limit will not be the TDP, but peak.

It's a guarantee that a 91w i7-7700k at 4.9GHz,1.36v will output far in excess of the 56w that online calculator suggested. You'd be looking at a 250w+ peak.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I5 = 65w
Gtx1050 ti = 75w
8Gb ram =10w
Hdd = 15w
Mobo = 50w
Fans = 10w

Grand total = @225w and that's if everything in the pc was running at 100%, which is almost impossible to do. Basically as hard as you could possibly push that pc, you'd still have a hard time getting over 200w usage. Your 450w psu is more than good, it'd still be ok if it was 350w instead.

150w TDP cpu cooler is perfectly acceptable for a 65w cpu. The m9i is 120w TDP and perfectly acceptable for that cpu.

Imagine a 60w light bulb. Puts out a certain amount of light but also gets pretty hot. A 100w light bulb puts out more light, but gets much hotter. What a cpu cooler does is cool the light bulb. You'd need a 100w+ tdp cooler for the 60w light bulb, but a 150w+ tdp cooler for the 100w light bulb. Has nothing to do with how much power the 2 light bulbs use, but how much of that power is converted to heat output.

My rule of thumb is to double tdp for cooler size. If you have a 100w tdp cpu, that's 150w peak, so use a 200w tdp cooler. Keeps maximum temp at 70°C instead of 100°C. So with a 65w i5, a 120tdp m9i is about perfect.

Solution