I7 7700 gtx 1060 6gb bottleneck?

josef.wernbo

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
I got a new pc and just heard about bottlenecks, will my gpu bottleneck cpu?
and how in that case to make it not so bottlenecked, heh
other specs:
550watt PSU
SSD and HDD
Asus b250f mobo

Solution
A bottleneck is when one or more pieces of hardware slows down a more powerful component due to either its lower power or when it is to over-loaded by another task so it cant give enough resources to another task or piece of hardware.

For example the most popular and talked about bottlenecks i have seen are the issues with BF1 as the game is so CPU demanding (Even the newest CPU's struggle) that it is not giving the CPU room to communicate efficiently with the GPU, which is called a CPU bottleneck. Either this or the game isn't communicating optimally with the hardware so the game runs poorly, this is called a game engine bottleneck.

Your CPU will not bottleneck the GPU in single player games but it may or may not struggle depending...
if your monitor is 1080p 60hz, good pair, very high-ultra setting can run ~60+ FPS in most games.
However, it can not do 100 FPS in most recent AAA titles if your monitor is 144Hz, but can do so in games like CSGO. It just depends on what games you play.

A bottleneck is when one or more pieces of hardware slows down a more powerful component due to either its lower power or when it is to over-loaded by another task so it cant give enough resources to another task or piece of hardware.

For example the most popular and talked about bottlenecks i have seen are the issues with BF1 as the game is so CPU demanding (Even the newest CPU's struggle) that it is not giving the CPU room to communicate efficiently with the GPU, which is called a CPU bottleneck. Either this or the game isn't communicating optimally with the hardware so the game runs poorly, this is called a game engine bottleneck.

Your CPU will not bottleneck the GPU in single player games but it may or may not struggle depending on the game or software ur using. If a game is not optimised then this can cause a game engine bottleneck.

Solution

Well CSGO isn't at demanding and having 300fps is useless, you are only seeing 144 of those and they are out of sync so you will see tearing.

Cap it to 143fps so your CPU & GPU doesn't have to work pointlessly hard for frames your not going to even see.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry to interject I agree with your point but I don't think BF1 is really that CPU demanding, in fact I would say it's one of the best optimized AAA games considering how it looks to come out in recent memory. An example of a horribly optimized unnecessarily CPU heavy game would be PUBG.

Well it was only an example.

PUBG isn't even demanding CPU wise for my system while BF1 is and this is coming from using a overlocked i7 6800K. BF1 bottenecks a bit on mine and my clan mates systems while playing operations together (low GPU usage). i'm not really bothered, hardly play it nowadays.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I dont see how that is possible with a 6800k. A sandy bridge i7 barely holds a gtx 1080 back.

8700k-legacy-bf1-benchmark.png

Well its the only game that does it even at stock, GPU usage fluctuates between 75-99% (80-110fps on ultra)

Meh maybe its the PSU or some other component or could be my internet as i do get the yellow warnings.