RX 580 eGPU, system Blue screens a few minutes after its been turned on

PetarV

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
I'm using EXP GDC beast v8.5c, RX 580 8gb Nitro +, Asus G551JW and an external monitor.
When I start the pc everything runs fine, the exp gdc glows green, the gpu's leds light up and the fans spin, I could install the drivers, they recognise the gpu, when everything was complete the external monitor was running etc. But a few minutes after I've started the computer a Blue Screen appears saying something about attempting to recover the drivers and it failing.
The way I installed the GPU was: plug in the adapter in the PCI mini port, plug in monitor in rx 580, start pc(of course only laptop monitor was working the external one was not), install amd drivers and restart. After restarting both monitors were working. I haven't disabled the other GPU in my laptop (960m) neither have I done anything accept the forementioned things.
I have screenshots of the errors in event viewer.
Please help and thanks in advance! :)

Solution
The switches are for detection troubleshooting. You have it working for at least a while but it's crashing so that isn't going to help. Can you confirm the psu and gpu have no issue running on a desktop? You could try ddu and just install the amd driver. I'd still worry about that psu. With that price and low 12v output vs capacity, I'd wonder who's design they used and if the 80+ gold is fake. A poor quality psu can give dirty power and damage components.

PetarV

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016

Of course I have a psu I just think its not that important what brand and model it is. If I had no PSU the egpu wouldn't start at all. My problem is that I get a blue screen after the pc was on for a few minutes.

The switches are for detection troubleshooting. You have it working for at least a while but it's crashing so that isn't going to help. Can you confirm the psu and gpu have no issue running on a desktop? You could try ddu and just install the amd driver. I'd still worry about that psu. With that price and low 12v output vs capacity, I'd wonder who's design they used and if the 80+ gold is fake. A poor quality psu can give dirty power and damage components.

Solution

PetarV

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
I don't have a desktop pc thats compatible with the card, its over 10 yrs old I don't think its still running. If its that important I can check my gpu in a friends pc but I would like to leave that last. The psu is a bit harder to check but would it work with that paperclip method?
So you suggest trying to install the drivers again, but should I use the latest 17.12.1 driver or the one which the GPU came with and then upgrade to the latest? Because when it gave me those errors I was using the 17.12.1. Also I didn't think it was important to mention, when the BSOD appeared on the laptop monitor the external one connected to the 580 turned black and seconds before that my whole pc froze.
Also I have some errors in Event Viewer, if you think they'll help I can send them to you.

PetarV

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
It worked!
I installed the driver from the cd, and boom-no BSOD. I guess the driver I previuosly installed was crappy.
I can post some benchmarks after installing 3dmark and unigine heaven if you want.