1500$ PC Build what are your thoughts?

DariusGaming

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2015
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HTB4tJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HTB4tJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($326.29 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($103.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($146.98)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($204.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair - SPEC-ALPHA (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1541.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-27 00:17 EST-0500

Solution
Spec is OK, but there's better pricing on RAM, and PSU. Check Newegg regularly and sign up for their email subscriber promos. They have regularly had 2x8GB kits of 3200 RAM on sale for $182 - $186 range, and it's good brand too, usually G. Skill.

RAM
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231977&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL012618C&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL012618C-_-EMC-012618-Latest-_-DesktopMemory-_-20231977-S1A3C&ignorebbr=1

PSU
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151189

I would also go Z370 instead, and a 8700K. The ASUS Prime Z370-A is only $145 right now, and I've seen it on sale for less. The 8700k is $380 right now.

Spec is OK, but there's better pricing on RAM, and PSU. Check Newegg regularly and sign up for their email subscriber promos. They have regularly had 2x8GB kits of 3200 RAM on sale for $182 - $186 range, and it's good brand too, usually G. Skill.

RAM
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231977&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL012618C&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL012618C-_-EMC-012618-Latest-_-DesktopMemory-_-20231977-S1A3C&ignorebbr=1

PSU
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151189

I would also go Z370 instead, and a 8700K. The ASUS Prime Z370-A is only $145 right now, and I've seen it on sale for less. The 8700k is $380 right now.

Solution

johnyj7657

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
Why not go for the i7 8th generation.

The video cards gonna be the problem in your budget. 429.99 for a 1070 isn't gonna happen right now. That's 1060 pricing as of now.

Also Samsung just released the 860 evo that's supposed to have a longer life but little more money

It's more availability than price on the one he's referring to. It still shows for $429.99 on Best Buy, but it's on Notify Me status. Whether that means you can preorder it anywhere at that price is hard to say. The price could very well go up once they get them in stock, IF they ever do considering the way things are going.

I know manufactures/designers often refuse product to vendors whom drop prices too low, but it would be nice if there were laws limiting price hikes to a certain percentage above MSRP when things like mining waves cause availability to drop. Say like 15% above MSRP max. That would in turn force the manufacturers/designers to have to make more supply for the demand.

I really can't stand miners, they are as bad as publishers to me. The worst ones are the ones whom are also avid gamers, and act like they are not harming the gaming hardware industry, such hypocrites. :sarcastic:

Can't say I agree on that, except for the brand of HDD. In my opinion SSDs are a luxury. If you can't afford one up front, get a spacious HDD, then get a decent SSD later. Sure they considerably speed up OS, programs, and game load times, but for those whom play a LOT of games and don't like having to uninstall and reinstall often, they are not so good, especially since tons of writes shortens their life. Most of today's games are well over 50GB file size, so a 512GB SSD, when you factor in OS and programs, can only hold less than 10 games, which isn't many.

My HDD of choice lately for space, speed, and reliability, is the WD Black 6TB. I've seen it on sale for $200. And yeah, you can get a decent 512GB NVMe drive for that, but not one that will hold over 100 games. That said, a lot of factors weigh in. It really depends how many games you have, what your ISP speed is, and whether you play one game at a time, or jump around between any given game. If you buy Steam games and have a small drive though, you better hope your ISP speed is fast for reinstalling them, and even still, that's a lot of write wear and tear on an SSD type drive. The latest NVMe drives with 5 yr warranty also restrict you to stay within a certain number of write capacity within that time.

There is certainly a use case for a bigger slow drive. There is also one for smaller faster one. That’s why I asked whether his use case supported a larger one.

I play AAA titles and indies daily. A 250gb ssd has been plenty for the past 3 years (a 180gb for 3 years before that). I did have to add the 180 back in to support a library of Rift titles.

The OP will make a decision that supports their use case.

Edit: As for lots of writes wearing out the drive, you’d have to intentionally go out of your way to make that happen before it’s time to replace the whole system. It’s simply not a factor for a gamer: https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

That depends entirely on the drive chosen and how many large file transfers are done. For everyday use though, a drive like the Plextor M8Pe is very fast, reliable, and affordable for what it offers, including a nice heatsink. I tend to think Samsung having recently beefed up their SSDs to be more reliable speaks volumes though, but their new ones DO cost more.

Who knows, maybe one day SSDs will be as sturdy as HDDs, but they've got a long way to go still. SSD users think differently than HDD users. With them it's about system life, not long term library storage. Most own their games much longer than the life of one system, and the better ones are worth digging out and playing again, long after the sys they were installed in dies. All you need to do that on disc is a large HDD (and hot swap bay if they're REALLY old games on a drive no longer in the sys) . On SSD, it's uninstall, reinstall time. I don't care how fast they install, it's still slower.

I also feel performance wise SSDs mostly benefit those into competitive mp, where levels are loaded faster. I also don't see how any mp player can feel good about getting a weapon and vantage point advantage by hardware vs skill. It's like the old "pay to win" phrase, and also a sign of poor mp design on the dev's part. Texture wise most games don't benefit from an SSD. It has to be a pretty badly coded game to not stream textures fast enough on a decent HDD. This is why I feel SSDs are still mostly a luxury for enhanced OS, program, boot, and install speed.

lewis02

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

Not really much point spending $20 extra for an SSD that literally gives you 2% better performance.

johnyj7657

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018

Supposedly the 860 evo has a long life meaning can be written over more times before sectors go bad. every size up doubles the life or something.