7700 HQ Underperforming

Brad Oxford

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
So, I travel a fair bit, hence the reason I got a gaming laptop (alongside my 1080ti desktop), and have had great satisfaction with the result. The 1050ti, 16GB RAM, and 7700HQ make for a wonderful pair, pulling out 1080p60 on the latest titles with medium/high settings. However, I fired up my laptop 2 days ago to play some Grand Theft Auto V, and noticed something weird. The world was disappearing, even when I wasn't moving. I searched up a solution, and most answers all tied to one thing. The CPU isn't good enough to keep up. Huh? It's worked just fine until now. So, I launched BF1, and got unbearable framerate dips, and stuttering. Again, online searches claimed that this happens with a CPU bottleneck. When monitoring the hardware, I found the culprit. In pretty much every game, the CPU was at 99-100% usage almost all the time, whereas before, it was at a healthier 70-80%. Clockspeeds seem in order, bouncing between 2.7-3.3 GHz respectively, and so do temps, never exceeding 65C. I've run several scans with Malwarebytes, and Avast, all to no avail. The odd thing is that idle usage is perfectly normal, hanging between 5-10%. What am I missing here?

ragnar-gd

Reputable
Did you read about Spectre and Meltdown? If not, this is the time... *if* (and oly *if*) you have the patches in place, you will notice a degradation of performance. Although, it should rather be in the range of 5%... but, you never know...
(Maybe check in Task-Manager, if there is another CPU-Hog as well)...