Solved

Can I recover my Windows 7 product key?

I have an HP Pavilion DV6 laptop which came preinstalled with Windows 7, however, the laptop got its hard drive formatted a couple of time and so the HP recovery partition got removed. The laptop's under case was replaced so the sticker got lost. I have no disks such as Windows 7 OEM or HP Recovery disk.

Is there anyway I can get my Windows 7 product key back? I know Windows 8 and up have the product key hard coded in the BIOS/MOBO, but I don't think that's the case with Windows 7, is it?

I have tried using a couple of "Key recovery" tools such as Jellybean's, but it didn't work.

My laptop's warranty has expired so I can't order an HP Recovery Disk for my laptop model.

I am able to get the serial number of my laptop using CMD, this is all I got.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about recover windows product key
  1. If it's not on the sticker, and the drive was wiped...you're out of luck.
  2. The trouble with questions like this is that it's impossible to judge if they are legitimate or not which makes answering it a bit dubious. Magic Jellybean should work, I just used it to confirm a windows 7 pro key matched the COA on a PC I got 2nd hand. Some anti-malware software will object to it's presence though.

    You could just backup the existing install to a system image if you have a portable drive with enough space. You only need the key if you have to reinstall and restoring from an image is a better way to do that as long as everything is running sweet now. Windows has a built in tool or there are plenty of 3rd party options.

    And if you are trying to extract the key to use elsewhere, don't bother it won't work.
  3. Dugimodo said:
    The trouble with questions like this is that it's impossible to judge if they are legitimate or not which makes answering it a bit dubious. Magic Jellybean should work, I just used it to confirm a windows 7 pro key matched the COA on a PC I got 2nd hand. Some anti-malware software will object to it's presence though.

    You could just backup the existing install to a system image if you have a portable drive with enough space. You only need the key if you have to reinstall and restoring from an image is a better way to do that as long as everything is running sweet now. Windows has a built in tool or there are plenty of 3rd party options.

    And if you are trying to extract the key to use elsewhere, don't bother it won't work.


    I am currently on a non-genuine (Not yet registered) Windows 7, I need the product key to register it.
  4. Best answer
    AssemblerX86 said:
    Dugimodo said:
    The trouble with questions like this is that it's impossible to judge if they are legitimate or not which makes answering it a bit dubious. Magic Jellybean should work, I just used it to confirm a windows 7 pro key matched the COA on a PC I got 2nd hand. Some anti-malware software will object to it's presence though.

    You could just backup the existing install to a system image if you have a portable drive with enough space. You only need the key if you have to reinstall and restoring from an image is a better way to do that as long as everything is running sweet now. Windows has a built in tool or there are plenty of 3rd party options.

    And if you are trying to extract the key to use elsewhere, don't bother it won't work.


    I am currently on a non-genuine (Not yet registered) Windows 7, I need the product key to register it.


    Then the original license does not exist in any place you can extract it from.
    Not from the sticker, and not inside the actual OS.

    It would seem you're out of luck.
  5. Try this instead.
    If it doesn't work we can't help you.
    https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases
  6. unreal9400 said:
    Try this instead.
    If it doesn't work we can't help you.
    https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases


    It says next to "OEM Key" field: "Windows 7 OEM marker present in firmware."
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Windows 7 HP Pavilion