RX 580 vs R9 Fury for 1080p@144hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

polinko092

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Hello everyone.

So I am planning to upgrade my GPU - I currently have an R9 280X and I'm torn between RX 580 8GB or R9 Fury 4GB. I can get both for around the same price here in my country.

I recently bought a 144hz monitor with FreeSync, and since I want to use this feature I won't be buying an Nvidia card.

I'll be gaming at 1080p. I play all sorts of games so I can't exactly tell you what I'm going to be playing the most. I've currently been playing Titanfall 2 and TERA but I'll certainly play higher demanding games after the upgrade.

I also want to upgrade my PSU (it's a Corsair VS450) as it seems to me it's either faulty or not keeping up with the rest of the hardware, as for the last year my pc has randomly shut off due to shortages (PSU safety measure).

My CPU is an i5-3340 and I have 8gb ram installed. What PSU should I get with these cards?

And one more thing: If I upgrade to an i7-3770k along with the GPU, what PSU should I get then?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and help me if possible.

Solution
polinko092 I agree with renz. While I'm a big fan of water cooling on GPUs, in your position, I would opt for the RX 580 over the Fury X.

Personal reasons:

I "suspect" that driver support is more robust and consistent for the RX 580.

resell: There are 10x more RX 580's sold on Ebay, than the Fury X.

acoustics: I seem to recall PC Perspective doing a past podcast mentioning this very unusual sound coming from the water pump of the Fury X, that did not alleviate with time.

power: 275 watt stock TDP is relatively high, considering it has an equivalent power draw to my 1080 Ti w/ the water pump.

I also agree with you about upgrading power supplies, regardless of which card you select. Personally I'm...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Bumping is not allowed. Thank you.

The Fury will take more power and generate more heat/noise. The additional memory of the RX580 will help in some situations as well.

I would recommend the RX 580 8GB and a quality 500 to 550W PSU (Seasonic, EVGA, Corsair) to go along with it.

Fury X can be inconsistent with it's performance. at 1080p or even 1440p there are games will perform better with RX580 despite Fury X should be faster.

polinko092 I agree with renz. While I'm a big fan of water cooling on GPUs, in your position, I would opt for the RX 580 over the Fury X.

Personal reasons:

I "suspect" that driver support is more robust and consistent for the RX 580.

resell: There are 10x more RX 580's sold on Ebay, than the Fury X.

acoustics: I seem to recall PC Perspective doing a past podcast mentioning this very unusual sound coming from the water pump of the Fury X, that did not alleviate with time.

power: 275 watt stock TDP is relatively high, considering it has an equivalent power draw to my 1080 Ti w/ the water pump.

I also agree with you about upgrading power supplies, regardless of which card you select. Personally I'm partial to the EVGA 650 P2 (and G2) PSUs. I'm not a fan of the newer EVGA G3 units, because their slightly shallower dimensions have necessitated a more aggressive fan curve; I don't like excess noise.

Addendum: You said "in your country", which makes me think that EVGA may not be available to you. FYI: Super Flower manufacturers the EVGA G2/P2/T2 models, and Seasonic manufacturers the GS/PS models of EVGA.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.