I5-7500 and GTX 1060 6GB for gaming

Seeker21

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
Hi guys. For how many years do you think the i5-7500 and a GTX 1060 6GB will hold up in gaming( all game genres so demanding games are included) at 1080p high settings considering the targeted fps is no more than 60FPS(at least not to dip below 40 in the coming years) and AA set to FXAA and please don't tell me get ryzen or the i3/i5/i7 8th gen as they're not available in my country and if they will be their prices would be really high.

Solution
Most likely, the CPU will not be an "issue" as far as what we are discussing. There are MANY members still using very old CPUs, like the i5-2500, with few if any problems so long as they have a capable enough graphics card. The graphics card is the most likely thing to limit your gaming performance over the next five years, not the CPU, with any of the Kaby Lake i5 or i7 CPUs.
Probably two to three years, maybe more if you are a bit more flexible with settings and especially considering that we have NO idea what the demands of games may be in the future.

If somebody told you a few years back that a GTX 780 would be fine for the next five years they would have been sorely mistaken when the Witcher 3 came out, and practically everybody had to upgrade to play that with 1080p at high or ultra settings, so it's impossible to tell you what the demands of what come out tomorrow, or next year, might be.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends very much on what you want to play. Esports titles, probably a very long while, but the cutting edge games are going to be a challenge in a year or two most likely. These may not be games you want to play though. Star Citizen is certainly a game ahead of the current mid-range gaming platforms, but they are still in the early stages.

I know you said not to, but if you can locate an i3-8100 and Z370 board, that should be cheaper than an i5-7500 and be just as fast, and give you a moderate upgrade path. Same with the Ryzen platform, the higher core count there would be better suited to newer titles. Using something like BF1 as an example CPU threads are very important for high FPS, and that trend will likely continue.

I wouldn't worry too much about the GPU though, if you are targeting the mid-range now, then you should be on a relatively quick upgrade cycle and be able to pick up a new GPU in 2-3 years. Selling your GTX 1060 6GB for whatever you can get at that time should make it a relatively cheap upgrade.

Seeker21

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
What about stretching my budget and getting an i7-7700, would be really worth it's price and can it handle games easily for more years than the i5 although I know none of us knows how PC gaming will be altered in the future but I want your opinion from your current perspective.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
When they put the 7700k on sale for a while there, it was a pretty good option. If they have done something similar with the 7700 or 7700k where you are, it could be a good purchase.

Zero upgrade path, but that is pretty typical with Intel.

Most likely, the CPU will not be an "issue" as far as what we are discussing. There are MANY members still using very old CPUs, like the i5-2500, with few if any problems so long as they have a capable enough graphics card. The graphics card is the most likely thing to limit your gaming performance over the next five years, not the CPU, with any of the Kaby Lake i5 or i7 CPUs.

Solution