new $235 GPU ruined my computer RESOLUTION stretched can't fit see screen edges

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
lol how does this even happen?

Windows 8.1 64 bit
SSD drive
16 BG RAM
Intel i7-4790K (Not overclocked and I never will Overclock it).
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z97-HD3 LGA 1150 rev 2.0

I had no GPU before today, I was just using the CPU's GPU (I actually bought like a $150 GPU with this build a few years ago but it was giving me so much trouble, I forgot exactly what but maybe something similar to this, and it was enough to make me remove the friggn GPU and sell it used for a small loss).

I just installed this I bought for $235 (used to be like $140 but I needed a GPU):
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC (I'm not OC'ing it BTW)

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-4GT-OC/Specification

Monitor: samsung s27a35oh
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27A350HS/ZA-specs

ok so I plug the GPU in, then try to hook it to the monitor which just has VGA or HDMI. I was previously using VGA for both the motherboard (CPU's GPU) and the monitor port.
This GPU only has HDMI or DVI and something else I'm not sure of (looks similar to HDMI).

I don't have a VGA-to-DVI adapter that'll work with this GPU. I have a VGA-to DVI-I but the GPU needs a DVI-D (I have 4 too many pins on my adapter).
I'm just mentioning this about DVI because I've read people suggest to use that in similar problems as this. I did read a bunch of threads about this but not sure what to do. I think I tried everything besides rolling back the GPU driver.

I did not use the driver CD that came with the GPU, I figured it'd be best to just go to the official webpage and get the latest driver. I installed it as a Custom Install instead of Express and omitted the Audio parts of the install checkboxes, but I included 3D check boxes even though it's not a 3D monitor as if you need 3D glasses but I included the 3D parts just in case it was something different.

3d stereoscopic is not set up in the GPU control panel though but I don't know what that is.

Ok so now the sides of the screen are stretched! I changed resolution and the next one down in the list from 1080p makes everything fit but then the screen stutters like crazy.
I have it set to 1080p (native) which is usually the suggestion to fix this but that's what's making it stretched, and all other resolutions are worse (stuttering etc or stretched tall etc).
I have it a 60Hz, changing that fixes nothing.
I think also for some reason my audio is a bit worse (I'm using a ~$50 USB audio interface w/ $100 headphones BTW, and my monitor doesn't have audio for the HDMI so I set that to No Audio somewhere in settings for the GPU/monitor).

I'm also getting a deceiving placement of my flashing typing cursor as I'm writing this (the flashing "|" thing that shows where you are in text, looks like it's one character over sometimes but hopefully that will be fixed with the screen stretch fix).

I'm not sure if it's placebo effect but also youtube videos look worse how it is now vs with no GPU at all. Same with just looking at Google.com looks a bit fuzzier or something.

I tried windows update after the GPU driver update but it says nothing available. I checked in hardware to update monitor and GPU drivers but it says the best ones are already installed.

Please help if you actually might know how to fix this. I will buy a new monitor if I have to (but something on the cheaper side) or I will buy a different GPU if I have to.

Solution
You need to use 1:1 pixel mapping (a.k.a. Screen Fit in Samsung speak)

Samsung_S27_A350_H_Size_Position.jpg
The ports that look kinda like HDMI are the DisplayPort or DP ports. What you might be running into with that monitor versus a new card is analog vs. digital, not only that but it has to compensate for switching connection type. Check EBay or the like for a monitor that has a displayport connection or an HDMI. If you use it for gaming, get a monitor, if you just use it for browsing the interweb and watching movies and the like you could even get a TV, long as it has an HDMI port you'll be fine... As to the problem, not sure if there is a fix for it, hopefully some one with more knowledge than me will chime in.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Im not gonna lie, theres a fix for it, But i don't remember it. Sorry.

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
"Check EBay or the like for a monitor that has a displayport connection or an HDMI."

this monitor HAS HDMI or VGA. I'm using the HDMI.

I went to download a driver from the official page for this monitor but then it asked me if I wanted digital or analog choice so I closed it because dunno which to do.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

HDMI is digital and VGA is analog

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
"HDMI is digital and VGA is analog "

So I should get the monitor driver from the official webpage and choose digital?

I just tried rollback driver. Fixed nothing. Went to control panel, system ,hardware, GPU, [Roll back driver], restarted, did nothing. Re-downloaded the driver from official GPU page, selected Express Install this time, restarted, did nothing.
Who do I have to shoot execution style so that this never happens to anyone again?

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

All of Microsoft. Its a glitch due to bad screen management in Windows.

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014