i7 8700 vs 8600k

ultramite.game

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
I am thinking of getting a Coffee Lake CPU, disregarding price (however, i dont have enough for the 8700k). Should I get the 8700 or the 8600k and overclock it to 5.0 GHz? Is it a good idea to overclock to 5 GHz, or should i just get the 8700?

Solution
The 8700 would be the better long term choice as you get more threads and the all core TurboBoost is pretty high already at 4.2GHz. The 8600k is better if you have tasks that are still very single thread dependent and where you need more clockspeed eg. older games, emulators. Newer games are starting to benefit more from additional threads, but clockspeed can still count for a lot if you're chasing really high framerates eg. you have a 144+Hz monitor.

What exactly is it you want to do with your computer?
The 8700 would be the better long term choice as you get more threads and the all core TurboBoost is pretty high already at 4.2GHz. The 8600k is better if you have tasks that are still very single thread dependent and where you need more clockspeed eg. older games, emulators. Newer games are starting to benefit more from additional threads, but clockspeed can still count for a lot if you're chasing really high framerates eg. you have a 144+Hz monitor.

What exactly is it you want to do with your computer?

Solution