960 evo and sx8000 M2 drives

mahmood

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I have a MSI X370 Gaming Pro motherboard which has a single M.2 interface (M key).You can see the picture here.
I am planning to buy a 256G M.2 drive also. Two models are Samsung 960 evo and Adata XPG SX8000. My concern is that the evo products are not good for professional works. I want to be sure that both products DO NOT use sata interface and the M.2 is really an M.2 interface. Among so many words and terms about form factor and other things, I have been confused about that.
Also, based on the numbers from different web sites, I see that max sequential reads for evo is 3200MB/s while that is 2000 MB/s for SX8000. Is that really true? I expect that evo products are not designed for high end users.
Which one is preferred?

Why do you say this?
My concern is that the evo products are not good for professional works

If it does anything over 600MBps then it's not using SATA.

M.2 is just a physical interface, what you need to understand is that it is NVME.

If those numbers are what the specs say then they are what the specs say.

What do you mean by professional or high end user.

mahmood

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Considering 256GB storage, the prices are nearly the same ($120) according tot he amazon. But the max seq read of evo is said to be 3200MB/s while that is 2000 MB/s for SX8000 and that difference is a lot!!!

> What do you mean by professional or high end user.
I mean users that do virtualization and long duration simulations with large data sets.

mahmood

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Unfortunately, pro is out the budget....
According to userbenchmark, 960 evo performs much better than sx8000. I think I will buy that!

>Home much will you be accessing disk vs RAM?
I actually don't know that. the files and modules are loaded frequently. For example, the virtual disk drives are about 20GB and more. Than RAM is two 8GB XPG 3200 DDR4.