New RX 580 graphics card causing reboots

Feb 14, 2018
Hello team,

I am trying to upgrade from a failed Gigabyte Radeon HD 5850 to a new MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8 Gb video card but, my system becomes unstable with the new graphics card. I get as far as logging into Windows 10 and watching my program icons appear before the system reboots. This cycle will repeat over and over.

I am able to reboot into safe mode with the new video card and the system appears stable. I can also run with an old video card that requires only one 6 pin power connection.

My old graphics card used two 6 pin power cables and the new card comes with an 8 pin connector. I am using a 6+2 pin connector for the new card.

System specifics:
CPU: Intel LGA-1366 i7-920 running at a marginal overclock of 2.7 GHz
Memory: 3x 2 Gb DDR3 1333 memory modules (total 6Gb RAM)
Graphics: MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8 Gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R SATA 6 GB/s USB 3.0 Bus speed: 133 MHz BIOS: F3
HDD: WD 7200 RPM SATA 3.5"
Optical: Optimarc DVD-RW and Plextor CD-R
Floppy: 3.5"
Mediacard USB 2.0 Reader
CPU Cooler: Noctura NH-D14 120mm and 140mm SSO
Case fans: 2
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 550W 80 Plus Certified

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue? I ran the CoolerMaster power calculator and came up with a requirement of about 480 W but since my PSU is rated for 550 W I don't think it is a PSU problem.

All of the above components except for the new graphics card were purchased in 2010.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot or resolve this issue will be greatly appreciated!

Solution

The only good way to verify if the card is good is to test it in another system, or you will be swapping out every other part in your system till the only thing left that can be the cause is the video card.

Top two things that would cause issues right after you installed a new card would be your power supply or the card..
Probably the power supply. Did you check for a newer BIOS for the motherboard? You are also overclocking the CPU, set everything to stock speeds and try again after a BIOS update. If card still does not work, try with a different power supply. Try this one, it's a bit older design but great value for the quality https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095&cm_re=seasonic_M12ii-_-17-151-095-_-Product This is also a good buy, has a single 12v rail https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151202

Feb 14, 2018

I've gone through hell trying to get this issue resolved and finally had some success last night.
- I have updated the mobo to the latest BIOS for the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (rev 1.0) which I believe is F7. The Gigabyte web site lists a different BIOS version but the @BIOS updater fetched the F7 for me.
- I moved the graphics card to another PCIe slot
- I downgraded the RX580 driver to 17.12.2 from 18.2.1 (18.2.2 is the latest)
- I ran sfc /scannow with no reported issues
- I updated every driver I could find to the latest available version
- I disabled all non-Microsoft services in selective startup
- I returned the BIOS settings to the BIOS "Fail Safe" settings
- I implemented recommendations from SiSoft Sandra related to power settings
- I re-installed the Blizzard Battle.net launcher
- I ran Blizzard's scan and repair for WoW
- I removed all WoW add-ons and reset the user interface
- I ran memtest86 for 3 full hours over 3 full passes without any reported failures
And nothing worked until in one final act of frustration, I completely removed WoW and reinstalled it and that seemed to resolve the issue.

I have subsequently changed the BIOS settings to the "Optimized" settings provided in the BIOS and ran PCMark10 and got a result of 2, 957. Not great but ok given the non-overclocked set-up, my components, and the age of my components. I have also put my WoW addons back and tested the game. I'm getting low 90s for FPS in non-crowded areas.

My next steps include trying the 18..2.2 drivers again and removing selective star-up. Hopefully, my system remains stable.

Thoughts?

Feb 14, 2018
Spoke too soon!

Just had an issue that my system was hung up coming back from sleep state. When the monitor came on it was a snowy/fuzzy white screen (not sure what this is commonly called). If I attach my DXDIAG and MSINFO32 output, would that be helpful in getting some advice regarding the underlying issue? I will hold off upgrading the graphics driver and removing selective start for now.

Kaitlin Kaschak459

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

did you check to make sure your power supply has enough amps on the 12 volt rails each gpu requires so many watts and so many amps on the 12 volt rail from the psu if the psu doesnt supply enough amps you will have issues like you describe also you are overclocking your cpu which you also need to take into account when buying a gpu as overclocking the cpu pulls more power from the psu

The only good way to verify if the card is good is to test it in another system, or you will be swapping out every other part in your system till the only thing left that can be the cause is the video card.

Top two things that would cause issues right after you installed a new card would be your power supply or the card..

Solution