RX 460 as an alternative to GTX 1050

ANXsucks

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2016
So I'm planning to build a $500 PC (including the monitor) and I have it all planned out except for the gpu. Well unfortunately, GTX 1050s prices also increased where I live and I couldn't fit it in my budget. I couldn't save more money too. So I was thinking maybe the RX 460 is still a good alternative to GTX 1050. I see that the performance difference is not significantly large in favor of the GTX 1050 but it is justifiable by the price difference now.

Solution
Powercolor are a known brand, it's not like you're buying some generic card.

Yes, Sapphire are more established in a lot of countries, but Powercolor* themselves are reputable and I wouldn't have any concerns in opting for their card if it's cheaper.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
From a performance standpoint, they're in the same general ballpark.
A 560 is a little better, and should be readily available vs the older 460 that's either discontinued... or in very short supply.

The 1050 is a bit faster on average (5-10% range), and should consume less power.... BUT, in most regions, the 560 is cheaper by about 15-20% (the 1024, do not look at an 896 which will net even less performance)

I think it's a very viable option right now.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Where are you located?

At their core, they're the same GPU. On a budget, I'd suggest the cheaper option UNLESS it's a Single Fan vs Dual Fan design (I'd suggest the extra $10 is worthwhile if you're getting the additional cooling of a secondary fan).

ANXsucks

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2016
Both single fans lol. I'm just not comfortable with powercolor as I believe sapphire is the better company. So I was just scared to choose powercolor since they don't seem to be a mainstream gpu manufacturer.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Powercolor are a known brand, it's not like you're buying some generic card.

Yes, Sapphire are more established in a lot of countries, but Powercolor* themselves are reputable and I wouldn't have any concerns in opting for their card if it's cheaper.

Solution