100% CPU usage Ryzen 1600

Rajzan

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
As in title, whenever i want to play a game (ex.Dead Island, Skyrim, Unturned) my cpu hits the roof with 90 - 100% cpu usage and starts sounding weird. I've already updated bios and even overclocked it to 3.9 GHz 1.3750V. I also chcecked windows power managment and yes I do have it set to high performance mode. Funny thing is that when i stress CPU in Aida 64 it is flawless 100% for 3h and not even a noise btw i have stock cooler. Please help

Solution
okay everything looks normal enough there.

If the cooler is making noise, it could be failing. I'd consider a new one. If it fails the PC will shut down to protect itself, so there's no immediate danger. But if you notice it fails, do not turn on the PC until you get a new cooler. Look for a new cooler, and see id everything settles down. I'm sure thats the issue.

The stock Wraith cooler is decent, but it's not meant for high OC'ing. 3.8 sounds about right.

You haven't mentioned the temps of the CPU. This is important. Gaming is more of a benchmark. If you are hitting 61c gaming, thats okay. I'm more interested to see the temps at stress.

Keep HWmon open (reset values) and run Prime95 small ffts and tell me what temps you get...
At 3.9 1.375 i'd say you are pushing very high temps on that CPU. What are your temps? If they over 80 you need to back it off.

On the 100% thing. Use a tool like HWmon and run it while playing a game. The alt-tab out of the game, and take a screenie of HWmon and post it here so we can see whats going on.

When you say the CPU hits 100% and starts sounding weird. You mean the fan, right? Because the CPU doesn't make noise. The fan cooling it does. The fan speed getting loader is normal. That happens when you are gaming or stress testing. The CPU heats up, the fan spins faster to keep it cool. Cause and effect. It's normal.

okay everything looks normal enough there.

If the cooler is making noise, it could be failing. I'd consider a new one. If it fails the PC will shut down to protect itself, so there's no immediate danger. But if you notice it fails, do not turn on the PC until you get a new cooler. Look for a new cooler, and see id everything settles down. I'm sure thats the issue.

The stock Wraith cooler is decent, but it's not meant for high OC'ing. 3.8 sounds about right.

You haven't mentioned the temps of the CPU. This is important. Gaming is more of a benchmark. If you are hitting 61c gaming, thats okay. I'm more interested to see the temps at stress.

Keep HWmon open (reset values) and run Prime95 small ffts and tell me what temps you get after 5 mins of running it. If Prime gets an error, you know your OC is not stable, and requires more voltage. But the temps are important.

Solution