Will an R8 380 AMD work in a HP PC

Chess of confusion

Reputable
Jul 28, 2017
HI i have a HP compaq 8200 small form factor pc now i know GTX 1050 ti will fit and work in this PC but what about AMD Nitro R8 380 sapphire or is it to long....i know the R8 380 is slightly better then the 1050 ti.

Thank you for your time

Solution
There are a couple of possible issues. One, if the SFF power supply is not standard sized, with standard connectors, then it is not upgradeable. This means the 380 would have to be powered by the HP power supply, haha good luck with that! Second, it's unlikely a 380 will fit in a SFF computer.

A 1050 Ti is your best possible option because they come in low profile form factors and in versions which do not require a power connector. By the way, check the documentation to make sure that model outputs the standard 75W on the motherboard pci-ex x16 slot.

jitter1127

Honorable
Sep 23, 2014

I had a nightmare putting a new gfx card in my HP. I put in a r9 270x and it did not work even though it should have. I had to get a new mobo which then was not compatible with the oem HP headers so to turn the pc on i had to use a screw driver to jump out the power connections. Also the usb connections were not the same. So some ports do not work . Also the card was large and covered the serial port connections so i had to buy 90 degree sata cables. You will also probably need to update power supply. I would definitely search around before attempting

There are a couple of possible issues. One, if the SFF power supply is not standard sized, with standard connectors, then it is not upgradeable. This means the 380 would have to be powered by the HP power supply, haha good luck with that! Second, it's unlikely a 380 will fit in a SFF computer.

A 1050 Ti is your best possible option because they come in low profile form factors and in versions which do not require a power connector. By the way, check the documentation to make sure that model outputs the standard 75W on the motherboard pci-ex x16 slot.

Solution