I7 870 too hot?

Solution
I've seen large temp differences between CPU cores on 1366 processors up to 8C. This is normal. The cores run independently.

70C core max is an OK load temp if you are using a stock Intel CPU cooler. 80C is as high as you want to go before the CPU starts to degrade at a faster rate. 70C is bit high for an EVO though unless you are overclocking. Around 55-60 would be more ideal but you don't really have anything to worry about.

jmcgaw

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
In my experience with various i7 CPUs, even a 10-degree difference in core temps under 100% load is not unusual. I have four of them running the BOINC client software which pushes 100% 24X7 and I've yet to lose one due to the heat. As long as your hottest core is not beyond whatever limits you have decided upon I wouldn't worry about it. To me, running high-power CPUs in cases as small as Shuttle Cubes, if they are under 90-degrees under load I don't give it a thought.

jr9

Estimable
I've seen large temp differences between CPU cores on 1366 processors up to 8C. This is normal. The cores run independently.

70C core max is an OK load temp if you are using a stock Intel CPU cooler. 80C is as high as you want to go before the CPU starts to degrade at a faster rate. 70C is bit high for an EVO though unless you are overclocking. Around 55-60 would be more ideal but you don't really have anything to worry about.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS