R9 380 oc worth it?

dogizmo

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018
Hello all, i have ryzen 1600x and msi r9 380 4gb gaming.I overclocked r9 380 from 980 to 1080mhz it is stable at 1080 above that it is not stable. Temperature on gaming without overclock 70 C* with overclock 80 C* but when i set fan speed to %50 on msi afterburner it drop at 71 C* on gaming.My question is, is it worth it to overclock it and how much fps i may gain with this overclock approximetaly

Solution
I think you can get higher clocks than that. Putting your fan speeds up just a little more have you tried adjusting the voltage to get more speeds?

In general it is worth it to overclock but only if it's by enough to see a real difference of like 5-10fps at minimum in games. If you can bear the sound of faster fan speeds then set them to get lower temps and definitely try going for a higher overclock with more voltage. Don't go too high though. Put your clocks one notch higher than they so they become unstable and then adjust the voltage in small increments until it becomes stable then proceed to push the clocks until they get unstable again and rinse and repeat. do this until either you can't go any further or your temps get too high...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I think you can get higher clocks than that. Putting your fan speeds up just a little more have you tried adjusting the voltage to get more speeds?

In general it is worth it to overclock but only if it's by enough to see a real difference of like 5-10fps at minimum in games. If you can bear the sound of faster fan speeds then set them to get lower temps and definitely try going for a higher overclock with more voltage. Don't go too high though. Put your clocks one notch higher than they so they become unstable and then adjust the voltage in small increments until it becomes stable then proceed to push the clocks until they get unstable again and rinse and repeat. do this until either you can't go any further or your temps get too high to risk it. 85c is the max I would safely recommend going for these higher overclocks. Make sure your power and temp limits are set to max in afterburner as well.

Solution

dogizmo

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018

Thank you for answer, i started overclock increase 5mhz i set power and temp limit max 1080 is higher clock speed stable at tests with every voltage test i couldnt reach higher is 100 mhz enough to make differences on games. Also is it safe to increase fan speed i dont have any problem about voices

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
You can have your fans running at 100% every time you game or all the time if you want. (although I wouldn't recommend running 100% 24/7) It all comes down to the noise it'll make. 100% usually sounds like a jet engine on some cards and that is entirely up to you whether or not you can handle the noise of a specific fan speed and higher or not.

TRENDING THREADS