- intel core i7 8700 or i7 8700K
- asus rog strix Z370F
- corsair vengeance lpx 2666MHz 32GB
- samsung SSD M.2 evo 1TB
- intel optane memory 32GB
- WDC 3.5" 4TB
- asus GTX 1060 turbo 6GB
- corsair graphite case 760T with 3 fan

is't enought to use 650 watt PSU ? my plan to use corsair RM650x, 80+ gold, full modular

P.S. i will not doing overclocking in the future

Solution
Pretty sure worst-case is under 350W.

Gaming should be 250W to 300W.

CPU by itself at 100% is under 200W... not sure why you'd have both 100% CPU and 100% GPU but that would likely be under 400W.

650W still recommended though as it keeps fan noise low (most ramp up starting about 50% load), less stress on PSU parts, and room for future graphics upgrading.
Pretty sure worst-case is under 350W.

Gaming should be 250W to 300W.

CPU by itself at 100% is under 200W... not sure why you'd have both 100% CPU and 100% GPU but that would likely be under 400W.

650W still recommended though as it keeps fan noise low (most ramp up starting about 50% load), less stress on PSU parts, and room for future graphics upgrading.

Solution

there are good reasons to aim for 50% to 70% (max) load on the PSU especially when the system is fairly expensive so that going from 450W to 650W is relatively inexpensive

As I said:
fan noise, and
less stress on PSU parts, and
future upgrade potential

There's also the fact you can get POWER SPIKES at times so it's not a good idea to go above 80% load (on paper) which may spike near instability or beyond.

fredfinks

Honorable
As a side, whats the purprose of Optane if one already has an SSD?
Correct if wrong but isnt it just a buffer for slow HDDs?

I should say, i hope this isnt a gaming rig because youre wasting serious $$ while compromising with a less than desirable GPU.

bignastyid

Titan

A good PSU should handle a transient surge without a problem even if it was at it's max advertised load(the good ones are designed to do that). If you are having transient surges too large or last too long for a good quality PSU to handle when the PSU is running within it's advertised range then you likely have problems elsewhere.

50-80% is a good range for efficiency operation not stable operation.

The OP wanted to know if 650w was enough for the specs. I simply said 650w was more than enough than even a good 450w PSU could power that system. None of what I said was incorrect as a good 450w PSU would reliable power those specs.

1) I agree the Optane buffer is unlikely to give any obvious real-world benefits paired with an SSD.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3191706/storage/optane-memory-review-why-you-may-want-intels-futuristic-cache-in-your-pc.html

I would encourage Optane only for a cheaper build, though ironically that's also where you may want to put the funds elsewhere so I'm struggling to think of where it makes sense except perhaps for an EXISTING build with compatible hardware you wish to speed up as you can simply drop in an Optane drive without cloning or reinstalling to an SSD.

Intel's Optane is more about the POTENTIAL it could have either as a main drive replacement or as a replacement for both the main drive and the SYSTEM MEMORY (i.e. DDR4) when Optane is sufficiently fast though that would be with a new motherboard design.

(so it may be best suited right now to server loads with high queue-depth loads)

2) The 32GB of DDR4 memory would be wasted for gaming as well. You would need specific VIDEO EDITING or other applications that require a large amount of system memory.

3) GTX1060 for gaming is not the best you can buy, though at current PRICES it could be argued it's best to WAIT for a better card later.

USD prices approx:
GTX1060 6GB, $350+
GTX1070 $680+
GTX1080 $750+
GTX1080Ti $1000+

The GTX1080 was $500 last year, so if crypto pricing and supply issues are sorted out, AND with new products coming we may see a GTX1080 or comparable card at the $400 price point this year sometime.

4) Bignastyid,
I'm not completely disagreeing about the PSU issue. I've given my reasons such as fan noise, and as for the POWER SPIKE you may be correct. I have however studied electronics and built PSU's which may be why I'm perhaps overly cautious, especially if the price difference is insignificant to the overall build cost.