Is the i7 3770 a good upgrade from an i5 2400?

Solution
Yes. I did this from 2500 to 3770. First, you'll get the benefits of an i7: overclocking, Hyperthreading and Turbo. Second, the Ivy Bridge 3770 supports PCIe version 3.0, which doubles the speed of 2.0. You'll also get USB 3.0 support. You'll need to update the BIOS before installing the 3770. Also, read up on your motherboard support for Ivy Bridge (Intel Core Gen 3) before proceeding.

shorttack

Commendable
Aug 13, 2017
Yes. I did this from 2500 to 3770. First, you'll get the benefits of an i7: overclocking, Hyperthreading and Turbo. Second, the Ivy Bridge 3770 supports PCIe version 3.0, which doubles the speed of 2.0. You'll also get USB 3.0 support. You'll need to update the BIOS before installing the 3770. Also, read up on your motherboard support for Ivy Bridge (Intel Core Gen 3) before proceeding.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan

You only get overclocking when using a K-CPU on a Z-motherboard, the i5 also has turbo boost so no new benefit there, PCIe 3.0 is dependent on the board having the required BIOS update and the board not having PCIe bus switches, native USB3 has absolutely nothing to do with CPU and native support is a b/h/z70-series chipset feature, changing the CPU makes absolutely no difference there.

Ya none of that is true except ht and pcie 3.0 which is negligible. The only other benefit is from a slightly higher ipc and clocks. These can still oc but are limited to 400mhz above turbo if you have a z or p mobo. I see some at ~$125 and for that price and the performance difference, I wouldn't bother.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I can't justify spending $125 on just a CPU when I can get a whole system for around $200.

I managed to catch an Optiplex 9020 with an i7-4790, 8GB of memory for $250 from Newegg. (Should show up today, upgrading my friend from an i7-950)

i7-3770 machines are around $200-250 on the average. But if you keep your eyes out you can get some spare parts for pennies on the dollar if you are after just a CPU. Can always drop your i5 into the desktop and have a complete system to do something with, rather than a CPU in a drawer or trying to sell it.

jr9

Estimable
If you aren't doing workstation tasks that can take advantage of more threads then no. Unless you can get the 3770k for dirt cheap somewhere. You won't really see a big difference if gaming and normal PC use. It won't feel like a new PC. I thought about going from 2500k to 3770k as well but decided it would be better to just rebuild an Core i5 8th gen. That would be a real upgrade.

Older processors are hard to sell and you won't get the price you want for it.