no 300 Mbps

jim624

Prominent
Feb 12, 2018
Just upgraded to 300Mbps DL 20Mbps Ul........I amgetting the 20mb upload but onky 85mb DL......I have plugged straight from computer to modem....changed the IP (i'm static) and I still am onky getting 85MB.
The ISP tech came out swappred out the modem, and rewired everything from the box to the modem. Still getting 85Mbps.....I have a dual band ethernet card so that's not the issue. On the ISP tech's equiment/meter he was getting the 300mbps. So.....evidently there is a setting that is wrong on my computer.....any help ??

Solution

There seems to be some confusion with terms, hence I asked for clarification. Use of the term 'dual band' indicates WiFi. Use of the term 'Ethernet' typically indicates a wired connection and that is what you suggested in your first post. But, you posted specifications of a wireless chip, not Ethernet.

If you're getting 85Mbps you are probably connected using WiFi. However, if you are actually 'plugged' in then your computer is only capable of supporting a wired connection up to 100Mbps which can also explain the 85Mbps limitation.

As asked earlier, can you post a link to your...

jim624

Prominent
Feb 12, 2018

jim624

Prominent
Feb 12, 2018
I have used speedtest many many many times......when the upgrade was first done on Monday....the tect told me it might take a couple hours to program or whatever.....so he left......and I tried severl times to see if my speed was up to 300Mbps.....t wasn't so I csalled the ISP and they came out and rewired from the box all the way to the modem.......and they tech's people on the phone said it all shows good on their end. Tech replaced the modem....and I plugged straight into the modem, changed the ip in the computer.....still getting 85Mbps on speedtest.net

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
Almost sounds to me like you only have a 10/100 NIC and you would need a 10/100/1000 NIC in order to get the faster speeds. Please reply with what motherboard you have and if you are running a separate NIC, we'd need to know what it is as well.

jim624

Prominent
Feb 12, 2018

jim624

Prominent
Feb 12, 2018

555-BDBY : Dell Wireless Card (802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.1, Dual Band 2.4& 5 GHz, 1x1)
Part Number Quantity Description
V91GK1CARD (CIRCUIT), WIRELESS, M.2, QCA9377
2KWWH1LABEL, REGULATORY, WIRELESS, QCA9377, WORLD WIDE, CSMB

jim624

Prominent
Feb 12, 2018

if you read the prvious posts you'll see the answer

So I have been watch this post and pretty much have the same question. From the terminology you use it implies you are using wireless.

Nobody calls ethernet "dual band" that is a term used on wireless. Then you post specs for a wifi nic card not a ethernet.

If you are actually using wireless then it is would not be uncommon to get 85mbps on 2.4g 802.11n connection.

If it really is ethernet you need to check the speed you are connecting at. Click on the network symbol on the bottom right of your screen. Then click on the network name. Then click on change adapter options. Then on the screen that appears double click the ethernet connection one. It should show you a status screen. You want to be sure it is connected at 1gbps

eszed556

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016

There seems to be some confusion with terms, hence I asked for clarification. Use of the term 'dual band' indicates WiFi. Use of the term 'Ethernet' typically indicates a wired connection and that is what you suggested in your first post. But, you posted specifications of a wireless chip, not Ethernet.

If you're getting 85Mbps you are probably connected using WiFi. However, if you are actually 'plugged' in then your computer is only capable of supporting a wired connection up to 100Mbps which can also explain the 85Mbps limitation.

As asked earlier, can you post a link to your motherboard / complete computer?

Adding to bill001g's instructions, this is what you are looking for:
y8oaUZ.png

Solution