Hd 6990 failing to crossfire

Mar 8, 2018
So I got this hd 6990 for cheap from a friend. This is an upgrade over my gtx 560ti so I decided to use it. Performance isn't bad but it seems to deliver the performance of a single hd 6970 when I tested the witcher 3 which gave around 27 fps on 1080p low setting.

I found this thread off the internet and followed it but still I seem to get the same fps in the witcher 3
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/762410-legacy-radeon-crossfire-problemdisabled-fix/

Also gpuz shows 2 gpu's enabled however msi afterburner in game and hardware monitor show the second gpu at very low usage (10% or less) and zero fan speed.

I honestly think this card is the result of Amd's refusal to release new driver for legacy cards but any suggestions would be appreciated

Using windows 10 along with an i7 and 16gb ram

Mar 8, 2018

Yea I agree. Even my gtx 560ti has better driver support than the hd 6990. It's sad how amd let such a great piece of its history crumble to the dust. I might as well return to using the gtx 560ti and i'll store this card as a collectable and hopefully get a better card when the gpu crisis disappears. Rip Hd 6990 2011-2016 :(

Mar 8, 2018

Agreed. I never used crossfire before I got this card, I just think sli or crossfire isn't efficient to justify doing so. Well it was worth a try but it didn't work out and 375w or hd 6970 performance, not worth, back to my gtx 560ti now.

Mar 8, 2018

Agreed. I never used crossfire before I got this card, I just think sli or crossfire isn't efficient to justify doing so. Well it was worth a try but it didn't work out and 375w or hd 6970 performance, not worth, back to my gtx 560ti now.

Before new gen of console hit the market multi gpu support actually is quite good. I was former SLI user myself in the past. Back then it probably the best years of multi gpu support. Having SLI support a few months ahead of game launch is quite common. But the primary issue with multi gpu all the works are done by gpu maker themselves. Game developer did not have much interest to support the feature. With the new gen console arriving many game ebgibe also being updated to better take advsntage of new hardware. But some of the new feature in the game engine simply did not work well multi gpu tech that used by AMD and nvidia. Then with low level API come the idea about giving more control towards developer on the gpu including to implement multi gpu. This ultimately become the final nail in multi gpu tech. Multi gpu is complicated just to make it work vs single gpu. For gpu maker the benefit of multi gpu is they gdt to sell more gpu. But what benefit game developer will get from multi gpu? All it did was adding more work for them. And the way many triple A game being rush to the market it is something that easily become undesired burden by game developer since they also busy fixing issues of their own game.