my r9 280 suddenly has no signal to my TV?

slowrsx

Honorable
Dec 25, 2014
hey guys i built my computer about 6-7 years ago and about 3 years ago i bought a r9 280. everything was working totally fine like always and then last night out of nowhere my tv (i use it as a monitor) turned off and said no signal?. i powered it down and rebooted and nothing. my gpu just isn't giving my tv a signal anymore. so far ive tried changing HDMI ports on the tv. i tried a different tv. ive tried using a dvi cable. nothing. the gpu turns on fans spin ect like everything is fine but when i plug my hdmi into it it does nothing. right now im using the on board HDMI port on my mobo and and it works fine. i did get it to come on this morning for about 10 mins and then it lost signal again. is my gpu fried? i also dont have another computer to put the gpu in to test it just curious on what you guys think thanks!

my comp is
asrock extreme 3 gen 3
8gig gskill
750w psu
MSI r9 280

Solution
Do you clean your pc regularly? Remove the gpu and clean the slot with compressed air, check your connections, remove dust from rest of parts and try to boot again.

slowrsx

Honorable
Dec 25, 2014

ok i blew it all out it did have a lot more dust in it than i thought it would. i took the gpu out cleaned it all off and reseated it turned it back on and it seems to be working! is this a pretty common issue? lol i dont think ive ever had a gpu do that to me before.

Of course it's common... Dust is quite conductive. Glad to bring your system back